The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

46 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

It's a shame it didn't work out, after a sortof promising start.

When was that? I'm actually gutted for him as he comes across very well (still annoyed I haven't bumped into him in the gym), but it took 9 games to get a win, then there was a brief period of 'playing alright but not really getting results', then utter shit since Christmas. It's not all McClaren's fault, but for someone who's constantly described as a good coach it certainly didn't show when players played like they've never met each other 20 games in.

We've gone about it all horribly, but if we get Benitez in I think he'll be our most decorated manager ever. Fingers crossed it's for more than 10 games...

There's a big difference between 'phew, this is better than Carver' with a bit of positivity for a new manager and 'doing well'. When I can remember each and every win we've had this season (all 6 of them) that really can't be good, and as I said there were shoots of improvement late last year but they soon disappeared.

42 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

When you were playing well at the start of the season and every Newcastle fan in this topic was saying that?

We did OKish at the start of the season, we should have beaten Southampton, Janmaat being an idiot stuffed us against Swansea, we played well against Man Utd and Arsenal, but then the wheels started to come off and by the time of the first derby came along, we were all over the place.

In hindsight, I think that after the utter dross of the Carver regime, even playing semi-competent football was seen as a massive step in the right direction, even if it did only last about four games.