The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

I wouldn't trust Balague when it comes to most things, but he's usually spot on as far as Rafa is concerned.

It's surprising in a sense, but Rafa's been angling for a move back to the Prem by any means necessary, so, why not.

My mate (Newcastle STH currently in Ghana) is really happy with Benitez (if it does happen) but I'm not so sure this is the right time for such an appointment. I get that something needs to change immediately but is Benitez the kind of guy to come in and get these guys playing and winning through these crucial last few games?

Granted, they tried 'get someone in to kick them up the arse for 10 games' with Shearer and that failed miserably, so maybe I'm wrong. If they stay up, Benitez is a great appointment going forward at least.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

My mate (Newcastle STH currently in Ghana) is really happy with Benitez (if it does happen) but I'm not so sure this is the right time for such an appointment. I get that something needs to change immediately but is Benitez the kind of guy to come in and get these guys playing and winning through these crucial last few games?

Granted, they tried 'get someone in to kick them up the arse for 10 games' with Shearer and that failed miserably, so maybe I'm wrong. If they stay up, Benitez is a great appointment going forward at least.

I think players would respect Benitez much more than they did with McClaren. With his CV, coming off a spell at Real Madrid I think he'd have the squad for the first week. A win at the derby would lift everyone up and the possibility staying in the Premier League starts to take shape.

I notice all the 'Newcastle fans expect too much' talking heads start to vanish when as usual we conduct our business with a complete lack of discretion or dignity. Is a club that with a little bit of character too much to ask?

• Like 2

Apparently McClaren has learnt that he is being sacked.

From the press.

That's actually what has been going on since Saturday, a giant, days long game of hide and seek as McClaren tries to find out what is going on and Lee Charnley hides in a broom cupboard and then tries to convince a mate to tell McClaren he's been sacked like he's a cowardly twelve year old trying to dump his first missus.

• Like 1

Newcastle are just trying to do a Sunderland by getting a new manager in the game before the Derby so they can win it. :shifty:

I think Benitez could be a great appointment and on paper that team shouldn't be getting relegated. But it's a question of can he motivate the team to perform better then they have been and he may clash heads with some players. 

There may be some football which isn't pleasing to the eye but tactically on his day he is a great manager.

There is also the issue of how will his relationship be with the board and Mike Ashley. He's clashed heads many a time with upper management and there may be issues down the line of a similar nature. 

I've always followed Newcastle from a far because of family but I do hope they stay up and I do believe Benitez could do it.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Apparently McClaren has learnt that he is being sacked.

From the press.

That's actually what has been going on since Saturday, a giant, days long game of hide and seek as McClaren tries to find out what is going on and Lee Charnley hides in a broom cupboard and then tries to convince a mate to tell McClaren he's been sacked like he's a cowardly twelve year old trying to dump his first missus.

Either that or McClaren's pulling a JTG and trying to avoid meetings to stay on the payroll...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Colly said:

Either that or McClaren's pulling a JTG and trying to avoid meetings to stay on the payroll...

"You can't fire me if you haven't seen me or heard from me!!" 

• Admin

Sergio Agüero has revealed he will leave Manchester City when his current contract expires. The Argentina international’s five-year deal at the Etihad Stadium runs until the end of the 2018-19 campaign.

“It’s clear to me that when my contract ends, after the World Cup [in Russia in 2018], I’m going to Independiente,” Agüero told the Argentinian radio station El Rojo En La Uno. “Here at the club they are great with me, they always told me that they were open if the chance of a transfer arises. But where am I going to go in Europe?

“No, when I go, when my contract ends, I’m going to Argentina to play for El Rojo. From Manchester, straight to Avellaneda. My family know that I am going to go there when my contract with Manchester City finishes.”

Despite Agüero referring to his deal ending in 2018, City have confirmed he is contracted until 2019. The 27-year-old has scored 128 goals for the club since signing from Atlético Madrid in 2011 for a fee of £38m.

The City manager, Manuel Pellegrini, will be replaced by the Bayern Munich coach, Pep Guardiola, at the end of the season and the forward is keen to give the Chilean a good send-off.

Agüero added: “It’s pretty crazy that four months out you already know that your manager is going to leave and you also know who his successor is but that’s how it is for us. Hopefully we can win something so Pellegrini goes in the best way possible. And then we’ll adapt to what Guardiola wants.”

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

The Guardian are reporting that Rafa will sign an initial 10-game contract, with an option for it to become a three-year deal should relegation be avoided.

He must have landed on Community Chest and got a get out of Championship free card 

• Like 4