The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

4 hours ago, Benji said:

As much as people might want to say "they're millionaires, they should do their job", we all know that's horseshit. It is very hard to motivate yourself for a boss who never admits fault and constantly blames everyone around him and takes all the credit when things are going right. Mourinho is a fantastic tactical manager, but he has proven more than once to be a horrible man manager. I suspect we're about to see a major boost from Chelsea regardless of who comes in.

Relevant:

CCA9FMpWAAESH2i.jpg

Exactly. Football is actually their job and if the work environment is shitty they're not going to be doing their job to the best of their abilities.

• Like 1

You can't say sweepingly condemn this thing 100% one way or the other. Some people's performance suffers through shitty work environments and some suffer because they have a shitty attitude towards their work. Lord knows I've experienced both cases at my work, usually with shades of grey.

I know people (fans, pundits, journalists, everybody) like to be IT WAS ALL JOSE'S FAULT or NO IT WAS ALL THE PLAYERS' FAULT (or alternative IT WAS ALL ROMAN'S FAULT), but given that 99% of us are just guessing through tidbits of leaks and/or invented paper stories and/or tenuous extrapolations from the way the odd the sentence is phrased, I honestly don't know why people are even bothered to waste energy trying to get to the bottom of something we're unlikely ever to know for certain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

It's no specific person's fault, but as manager the buck stops with Jose. if he can't motivate his players then he is not doing his job. Cheaper to replace a manager than to replace half the team.

Given the reality of the third sentence, everything else may as well be moot - but the first two sentences are certainly common excuses made to justify it. :shifty: 

True, but you also can't motivate someone who doesn't want to be motivated.

I'm writing a paper on collective efficacy, which is a group's belief that they can accomplish the task's that they are given, leadership behaviours is only one of six facets of what is believed to make up efficacy (prior performance is the strongest indicator - success does really breed success), group cohesion is just as important, for all we know, Cesc and Matic might be at war and splitting the dressing room because Matic keeps hogging all the ketchup at lunch.

Seriously though, I would imagine the originating factor was complacency, they strolled to the title last year and pretty much everyone agreed they'd stroll to the title this year. That's not a great motivator. Players started not giving 100% (you can see this by how little certain players press this season compared to last) as they felt they didn't need to and they'd still win (this also happens at Man City, especially in Europe, which is why they often lose games against lower level opposition), this lead to other players recognising this, losing faith in their team mates and blaming them for poor results, then your group is fractured. Cohesion is gone, efficacy is gone and so performance goes too. I doubt the handling of the Carneiro situation helped either, given how popular she appeared to be.

Yes,  I'm well aware of motivational psychology, and again, it's no one man's fault, but when you're former league winners and you're facing relegation, something has to give to try and change things, and Jose as manager is thankfully the arse hole who takes the fall. That is literally all I'm saying.

Christ, EWB really does love to make pointless arguments out of nothing >_>

• Admin
57 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

^ Amazing if true.

"Here, take my car keys and drive it somewhere just so all the press fuck off."

The hands covering the hood are young hands and there was no wedding ring on, which he always wears!

28 minutes ago, Benji said:

It's no specific person's fault, but as manager the buck stops with Jose. if he can't motivate his players then he is not doing his job. Cheaper to replace a manager than to replace half the team.

Apparently his payoff was like, £35m-£40m...

• Admin

Guus Hiddink has confirmed he is in talks with Chelsea, according to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

The Dutchman is in London for discussions over an interim role at Stamford Bridge.

"I want to get some good insight before I make my decision," said Hiddink.

Basically Hiddink will be at the Sunderland game to assess how much of a shitstorm he might be walking into. :shifty: 

But don't worry, we have the MIGHTY DUO of Steve Holland and Eddie Newton to see us through in the meantime!

Pretty much, my 1-2-1 asymetric tiki taka total voetbal gegenpress is revolutionary in youth football, they just won't implement it.

• Like 2