The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

Its OK though because Phil Jones has backed him...

At this point I hope he goes. Yes, we're still 5th, and he could well take us into the top four again, but the football is just atrocious. I don't enjoy watching us play anymore and you can't ignore our position. Out of the Champions League (in a group we should really have walked) and, in our last 3 league games, we have had a total of 8 shots on target. Losing/drawing with the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth and Norwich wouldn't bother me if we showed any sign of positivity at all. The players seem afraid to do anything 'different' and I don't see how 6 points from the next two games will do anything to change the approach LVG has stuck with for the last 18 months.

My worry is we win the next two games and he gets more money to spend in January. Then, when we end up finishing outside the CL places (or 4th at best) and sack him, the chance to get a Mourinho or a Guardiola may have gone.

I'm so glad I missed the game yesterday due to being in an alcohol induced coma most of the day. 

Been so frustrating how often we drop points when teams around us/above us do. I shouldn't be surprised with many of the performances cause this is a squad that finished 6th last season but it doesn't make it any less annoying. 

The latest managerial rumours that unnerve me are those of Pellegrini to Chelsea. Surely it wouldn't be wise to appoint someone whose track record with another PL club already highlights all the classic reasons that Roman will use to sack him in the near future? (occasions of defensive frailty, sub-par European performances, etc...)

I mean Jesus, give us at least six months of blind optimism first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

The latest managerial rumours that unnerve me are those of Pellegrini to Chelsea. Surely it wouldn't be wise to appoint someone whose track record with another PL club already highlights all the classic reasons that Roman will use to sack him in the near future? (occasions of defensive frailty, sub-par European performances, etc...)

I mean Jesus, give us at least six months of blind optimism first.

Pellegrini rumours "unnerve" you? He's one of the best tacticians in world football. Really underrated manager.

Okay. I'll take your word for the tactician thing because I know when City lose everyone blames X number of their multi-million pound players just deciding not to play that day, and the manager gets no criticism, but I guess that's the way it is at some clubs.

My other (slightly less serious) point is that if I looked through his time at City I could probably pick out three or four occasions where Abramovich would have definitely sacked him. Not to say that Roman is (or was ever) particularly correct to act that way, but I kind of like the few months I usually get with a new Chelsea manager when I can't absolutely see exactly how said dismissal is approaching over the horizon.

21 hours ago, TLHobo said:

I'll avoid using metaphors so as not to confuse Niner. :P

There issues with the Liverpool squad that go beyond stuff they do during matches. If things start to go wrong some players just can't seem to figure out what to do. . It's a hangover from Rodgers later days mixed with a lack of a potent attacking threat. Not to mention the sub standard goalkeepers and Martin Skrtel who has a tendency to switch off when he's not playing against the top teams. I don't really blame Sahko too much for his performance he's just back from an injury and it's a position that Liverpool are quite short on players at the moment It's telling that in the last two games Klopp has preferred to bring Origi on and drop Can back into defense rather than bring on Kolo Toure.

Then there is fitness. Klopp is on record as being unhappy with the level of fitness in the squad.

I feel bad for Jurgen really. At a new club in a new league with no pre-season and being stuck with what you've got and your best striker is always injured.

Also this league is really weird this season.

Are these the same goalkeepers in Simon Mignolet that only a couple of weeks ago that was being lauded for most clean sheets kept in the Prem?

Is this team with a lack of potency the same team that in the 15 games since Klopp took charge have scored 25 goals?

I think you are making excuses, when the reality could be that the players are not good enough (Not Klopp's fault) and/or the manager is making some really bad tactical and coaching decisions (Klopp's fault).

The issues with the Liverpool squad, and the club, do not go beyond the matches, the matches are all that matter, if there is a problem causing them to lose games, this is not an issue which goes beyond the matches, this is an issue which is right there in the matches.

Why would he need to bring Suarez? Why would he want to leave Barca, where he's rightly hailed as part of the best attacking lineup around, in one of the best teams around?

Yeah I think Luis is staying where he is as well. Anyway here's a little something, not sure if it's the same article I read but they're all about as credible as each other. :P

Wherever Pep Guardiola goes next, that club will have to sign Luis Suarez. The Star claim that the manager is requiring that his next club buy the striker from Barcelona, even if he is valued at £100 million. Guardiola's demand puts Manchester City in the pole position to land the sought-after manager because they have the most money, not just to pay Guardiola handsomely, but also to sign Suarez.