The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

15 minutes ago, Gazz said:

True, but you also can't motivate someone who doesn't want to be motivated.

I'm writing a paper on collective efficacy, which is a group's belief that they can accomplish the task's that they are given, leadership behaviours is only one of six facets of what is believed to make up efficacy (prior performance is the strongest indicator - success does really breed success), group cohesion is just as important, for all we know, Cesc and Matic might be at war and splitting the dressing room because Matic keeps hogging all the ketchup at lunch.

Seriously though, I would imagine the originating factor was complacency, they strolled to the title last year and pretty much everyone agreed they'd stroll to the title this year. That's not a great motivator. Players started not giving 100% (you can see this by how little certain players press this season compared to last) as they felt they didn't need to and they'd still win (this also happens at Man City, especially in Europe, which is why they often lose games against lower level opposition), this lead to other players recognising this, losing faith in their team mates and blaming them for poor results, then your group is fractured. Cohesion is gone, efficacy is gone and so performance goes too. I doubt the handling of the Carneiro situation helped either, given how popular she appeared to be.

The Anfield Wrap has a regular contributor to their podcasts who is the manager of Molde Alexander in the 2nd level of Welsh Football. He mentions this kind of stuff a lot. It's really interesting.

What strikes me is that there is it doesn't seem like club right now is capable of retaining the league.

• Admin

News which has slipped by mostly unnoticed for obvious reasons over the past couple of days - Crystal Palace now have significant American investment:

Alan Pardew does not expect the investment of £100m by the American billionaires Joshua Harris and David Blitzer to have a sizeable impact on the makeup of the Crystal Palace squad because the majority of the money will be spent on club infrastructure, in particular renovating Selhurst Park.

Harris and Blitzer are set to buy 18% of the club each, though the chairman, Steve Parish, will remain in control of decision-making despite reducing his stake from 25% to 18%. It is understood some paperwork is yet to be finalised but confirmation of the deal is expected soon.

Harris and Blitzer, who own and control the private equity firm Apollo Global Management, are worth around $2.4bn according to Forbes. They own the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers and ice hockey team New Jersey Devils.

The remainder of Palace will be owned by a combination of other US-based investors, while the existing owners from the CPFC2010 consortium – Stephen Browett, Jeremy Hosking and Martin Long – will retain involvement. An exact breakdown of the stakes held by them is unclear.

What is certain, though, is Parish’s intention is for the money to be spent on improving Selhurst Park and investing in the club’s academy. Pardew, who has met Harris and Blitzer, does not predict a large amount of the money to trickle down to his transfer budget and suggested one or two fringe players may instead be trimmed when the transfer market re-opens next month.

“I have to understand that the stadium is an important part of this investment, I get that but I don’t think it’s going to impact too much on the transfer kitty I’m going to get. We’ll be still on the same lines we pretty much were on,” the manager said.

Discussions between Parish and the new investors had been continuing for more than a year and Pardew said he was impressed by their vision. “I’ve been involved to some degree with Josh and David. We’ve met and I’ve seen their passion for this club. It has grown over the last 18 months and goes alongside the passion the chairman and myself have for this club. We hope, together, that we can embark on a new era.”

That new era has been on the horizon since before Pardew’s arrival from Newcastle in January. Parish maintaining control of the decision process was the crucial point in negotiations and Pardew suggested he would not remain as manager if that stipulation was not enforced.

“The investment was on the agenda but it wasn’t by any means a deal that was ratified in any way. There were very strong feelings that the guys would come on board and I needed to be part of that, to understand what Steve Parish’s vision was for the club. If it wasn’t that vision that he sold me, I probably wouldn’t be here. Steve Parish deserves a lot of credit, to get us into this position where we have this kind of backing.”

“The important point really in Steve’s position during negotiations was that the slight nuances in the game are understood by Steve and I can get a message to him – sometimes it’s not easy to translate to people who don’t understand the Premier League.

“If he can filter through all the information to them to make sense of it all and make sensible decisions at a low-risk factor. That’s something we have done well at this club. We’ve signed players that are at the right money and right time. That’s why we have such a good squad. It’s very strong.”

It is unlikely to grow stronger in the near future. “I don’t see me doing too much business in January. We probably have a little surplus that needs trimming, one or two who might go on loan or move out. Certainly we don’t want to lose our key players because they – Yannick Bolasie, Scott Dann – are driving the club forward.

“The environment is very strong here, but the most important factor is we are under no pressure financially. So when a club does come to talk to us about one of our star performers, the will have to drive a very hard bargain and really twist our wrist. It’s something we might not decide to do at the end of the day. We are in a very fortunate position.”

The stadium expansion is likely to be more in line with Liverpool’s rebuilding of the main stand than a complete rebuild akin to Tottenham Hotspur and White Hart Lane. It is understood Parish’s desire is for the ground to remain functional during building work but Pardew is not expecting dramatic nor immediate changes to how the club is run.

“It’ll be for the next six months for Josh and David to get their feet under the table and understand how the club works and what they are going to bring to the party,” Pardew said. “They will bring experience from other sports and managing clubs bigger than ourselves, so for that reason it will be shared knowledge that we will take into the summer. Of course the backing will mean improvements to our ground– that’s something very important to take the club forward.”

8 hours ago, stokeriño said:

Obviously we like Hiddink. He only lost once in 23 games when he was last here...but then he also had Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Drogba, etc. basically in their prime, so there's that. There's also his Turkish/Dutch record post-Chelsea, although I'm always reluctant to draw serious parallels between any manager's club and international records (and Anzhi was just a mad house).

But at this stage all we can realistically ask for is someone who can do enough to avoid relegation, and I have to think he can achieve that. Plus even though there will be significant fan grumpiness over the departure of Mourinho (I won't even dare to guess how many times his name will be sung this weekend), at least with Hiddink there should be enough latent fondness/respect to protect him from becoming a target for such unhappiness.

Talk of Chelsea needing to avoid relegation seems so surreal.

• Admin

West Bromwich Albion and Tottenham Hotspur have been fined £25,000 and £20,000 respectively after they admitted breaching FA Rules in relation to their game on 5 December 2015.

The charge was that in or around the 84th minute of the fixture, both clubs failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion.

West Bromwich Albion’s charge was heard by an independent regulatory commission because the club had a similar breach of FA Rule E20(a) within the preceding 12 months.

The trouble occurred during the 1-1 draw when the Albion winger James McClean was booked for a foul on the Spurs midfielder Mousa Dembélé.

A fracas ensued in which the referee Jonathan Moss was harangued by both sets of players, leading the FA to charge both clubs.

Much like we refused to sing "We're gonna win the league" pretty much until we were 1-0 up in the final decisive game (instead singing the less jinxy "We're top of the league")...I'm not going to take survival for granted until it's assured. We're a cautious bunch like that. :shifty: 

• Admin

Eva Carneiro’s personal legal action against José Mourinho will continue despite him parting company with the club, according to sources with knowledge of the case.

The former Chelsea team doctor is claiming constructive dismissal against the club and also has a separate but connected case against Mourinho, who left the club on Thursday, for alleged victimisation and discrimination, and both actions will continue.

It is understood the constructive dismissal claim includes the possibility of Carneiro being reinstated should Mourinho leave the club, but no moves have yet been made to explore that situation taking place. Sources say Carneiro’s relations with Chelsea’s technical director Michael Emenalo are also strained.

Carneiro is not in Britain at the moment, but Chelsea are understood to have filed a defence before the deadline ahead of an initial hearing at a tribunal in Croydon on 6 January.

The 42-year-old was dropped from first-team duties after Mourinho criticised her and the first-team physio Jon Fearn for going on to the pitch to treat Eden Hazard on the opening day of the season.

The action meant that Chelsea were temporarily down to nine men against Swansea and afterwards Mourinho called Carneiro and Fearn “impulsive and naive”.

Carneiro did not appear on the bench again for first-team duties and has parted company with the club.

Mourinho was cleared of using discriminatory language towards her following an investigation by the Football Association.

Fifa’s medical committee chairman Michel D’Hooghe has backed Carneiro, saying that she was simply doing her job.

• Admin

Roman Abramovich addressed the Chelsea players at training today to tell them that he didn't want to sack Mourinho, according to the Daily Mail. 

Apparently he addressed the players in Russian, with his comments translated to the team. 

According to the article, Jose Mourinho was also back at the training ground, and also spoke to the players. He "reminded them of what it took to be winners last season, when they landed the Premier League and the Capital One Cup."  

5 hours ago, stokeriño said:

Basically Hiddink will be at the Sunderland game to assess how much of a shitstorm he might be walking into. :shifty: 

But don't worry, we have the MIGHTY DUO of Steve Holland and Eddie Newton to see us through in the meantime!

Steve Holland was the tactical genius behind my run to being European, Confederates and World Champions on the last FM. Clearly you're on for an 11-0 or something similar.

• Admin

Done deal:

Crystal Palace have completed a deal by which the American investors Josh Harris and David Blitzer take a large stake in the club.

The duo, who already own the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers and the NHL’s New Jersey Devils, will join the chairman, Steve Parish, in control at Selhurst Park.

A statement from the club said: “Crystal Palace Football Club is delighted to announce that it has today signed a deal with investors Josh Harris and David Blitzer. The deal will see chairman Steve Parish, Josh Harris and David Blitzer take control of the club in a general partnership structure.

“They will be joined by a number of other investors in a limited partnership that will include current CPFC2010 shareholders, Stephen Browett, Jeremy Hosking and Martin Long, who will all retain a substantial shareholding.

“All shareholders have agreed an initial £50m injection of capital for the development of the stadium, with more to follow. This will give fans the first-class facilities they deserve.

“The deal offers the club the best opportunity to build on the enormous progress made over the last five years, during which time it has come out of administration and established itself as a thriving, financially secure member of the Premier League.

“It ensures that, while overseas investors are joining us, the heart and soul of the club remains in south London.”

The deal has been long in the offing, with Palace manager Alan Pardew saying this week that investment was on the agenda when he agreed to take charge of Palace in January.

Harris, Blitzer and Parish will each own an 18% stake in Palace under the new arrangement.

Parish said in a statement: “I’m delighted that Josh and David have agreed to make this investment and join me in shaping the future of Crystal Palace.

“I have had the great pleasure of getting to know them both over the past 18 months and I am sure they will be a huge help to me and add an enormous amount of value.

“I am looking forward to getting started with them and continuing to drive this great football club to ever great heights. I would like to thank Stephen, Jeremy and Martin, as well as all the club’s supporters, for their incredible support over the past five years and I am thrilled they will retain a shareholding for the next part of the journey.”

In a joint statement, Harris and Blitzer said: “We couldn’t be more excited to be joining the Crystal Palace family. We were drawn to the club’s rich history, exciting brand of football, strong leadership and, above all, its passionate fans.

“We’ve had the great pleasure of getting to know Steve and have the utmost respect for him and his partners, Stephen, Jeremy and Martin.

“We look forward to supporting Steve in his role as the operating co-owner and leader of the club. Crystal Palace has a storied legacy, a bright future and we’re proud to become a part of it.”

Palace sit sixth in the Premier League table, having been rejuvenated under Pardew’s leadership this year, avoiding relegation last season and mounting an early push this term for a place in the Europa League.

TIL: Jimmy Hill is the reason Coventry play in sky blue and the first color programme in English football. He was also behind the scrapping of maximum wage, is credited with the idea of having a panel of pundits discussing football, he was the one who proposed the 3 points for win system, he commissioned the first all-seater stadium and helped save Fulham from bankruptcy.

He also said some really mad things in defense of Ron Atkinson that time.

Truly, he led an uneventful life.

I'm just going to preempt in case some Sunderland supporters choose not to take part in any tributes before the Chelsea game that will most likely happen. It's going way back, before many supporters were even born but basically, he had his team's game delayed by 10 minutes on the final day of the season in 1977 so he knew the result of the Sunderland game, Coventry, his team were playing Bristol City with all three teams in danger of relegation. If Sunderland lost then all those two sides had to do to stay up was draw, we got beat and he had the Sunderland result flashed up so that towards the end of the game both sides played out to a draw.  The matches were supposed to be finished at the same time so no side had an advantage but he created it by having the match delayed citing "crowd congestion".  I'm hoping it doesn't come to vocal protests, but I can understand how some people will feel that way even if they weren't alive to experience it, because, football fans.

Edited by FrostyPickle_3:16