The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

At the risk of going full Hughes, a glance at the yellow card count says completely otherwise. His inconsistency was horrendous, Anita booked for a single nothing foul (which Marriner claimed was his third or fourth) and when he finally found the balls to book a delicate Arsenal flower he then still decided to inexplicably book Wijnaldum for having the nerve to appeal it. I've not seen the red again but it Is one of those that's hard to spot on the field so will get the crowd against him, but his sheer inconsistency after that was pathetic.

Just gutting really, we were rarely threatened up to a few saves and a deflection got lucky, we deserved at least a point.

You should never go full Hughes >_>

• Like 6

Our defence sounds like they are doing shite today. 

THIS is the Liverpool defence of recent years I'm used to. 

The defense has been horrible but West Ham have really crowded the midfield out and restricted our creative players. They're forcing Liverpool to go wide when most of the team would like to go through the middle. The only plus I can see is that as West Ham tire they might not be able to keep up it up.

Liverpool might need to bring on Origi or Ings though to get more strikers on.  If Liverpool can figure out a way to break through West Ham's wall of defenders they might get something.

Coutinho makes an unnecessary slide, Payey spins and backs into him, second yellow, Coutinho off, surely game over. Stupid by Coutinho to leave his feet when already on a yellow card.

However, why on earth writing you go to a back three when down by two goals? Three center backs for one striker that hardly sees the ball? My word it isn't just the players who decided not to try today.

I have now seen the West Ham keeper in possession of the ball with a foot or both on the getting outside of the box three times. Surely that is illegal? Twice he stepped out of his box when punting it, and just then when he slid, the ball was in the box but feet clearly out of the box.

I have now seen the West Ham keeper in possession of the ball with a foot or both on the getting outside of the box three times. Surely that is illegal? Twice he stepped out of his box when punting it, and just then when he slid, the ball was in the box but feet clearly out of the box.

As long as the ball is in the box it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

Yeah the amount of bookings the ref made today was a joke. He was flashing them at basically any foul towards the end. 

Mitrovic will learn, it wasn't the most malicious of fouls and another day it could've easily saw just a yellow. Having two points from the first 4 games is actually more than I anticipated given the fixture list. I'm still confident in the squad and it took a jammy deflection to break down the defence today with 10 men on the pitch.

International break now and two winnable fixtures after so nothing to worry about!

I don't really follow what you're saying, do you think goalkeepers aren't allowed out of the box with the ball?

Yeah the amount of bookings the ref made today was a joke. He was flashing them at basically any foul towards the end. 

Mitrovic will learn, it wasn't the most malicious of fouls and another day it could've easily saw just a yellow. Having two points from the first 4 games is actually more than I anticipated given the fixture list. I'm still confident in the squad and it took a jammy deflection to break down the defence today with 10 men on the pitch.

International break now and two winnable fixtures after so nothing to worry about!

Never mind nothing to worry about, I'm massively positive after these first 4 (plus the cup) games. Had we gone down to ten like that in the last few years Pardew would have been preparing his post match excuses before he made a tactical change. Today we immediately went 4-4-1 and there were massive sections where it didn't even look like we had ten. All the players were applauded off today as Andre Marriner scuttled down the tunnel (aren't refs supposed to be last off?.

Will be interesting if we make a late move for Austin, Mitrovic is looking a liability though we do have Cisse, Perez and Riviere.

Never mind nothing to worry about, I'm massively positive after these first 4 (plus the cup) games. Had we gone down to ten like that in the last few years Pardew would have been preparing his post match excuses before he made a tactical change. Today we immediately went 4-4-1 and there were massive sections where it didn't even look like we had ten. All the players were applauded off today as Andre Marriner scuttled down the tunnel (aren't refs supposed to be last off?.

Will be interesting if we make a late move for Austin, Mitrovic is looking a liability though we do have Cisse, Perez and Riviere.

Yeah I think if we flog Cisse, Austin is most definitely still in play. I don't necessarily want him but in the current system he'd be perfect as the lone striker.

But definitely agree. The performances have been there and barring two stupid red cards, who knows what the point total would be. It's nice to have an actual formation that's gelling more every game and the defence is looking its best for a long time. Wouldn't mind another left back though!

I think Mitrovic will settle down as the season progresses, he's coming on trying to make an immediate impact and just trying too hard leading to sloppy challenges and fouls.  Surely isn't the first 20 year old in history to have this problem.

I think that's true, but his card is marked now so he'll be in the same boat Tiote is where he gets booked on the 'being Cheick Tiote' rule.