2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

RG3 is meeting with Cleveland and apparently he's their target over Kaepernick now.  What could possibly go wrong?

I know, right? Twice a year playing the team that fucked his knee up, yep this is gonna work swimmingly.

I still can't believe the Broncos acquired Sanchez. Are they going to sign another QB and use Sanchez as the ball holder for field goal attempts, or do they actually intend to tank the season so they can get a better QB in next year's draft? I'd call Sanchez a mediocre QB, but that would be insulting mediocre QBs. (Look up his career TDs and INTs)

RG3 is insane if the signs with the Browns, unless he's after money more than glory and doesn't mind being injured again. I think he'd be a better off in San Fran, if there's any interest.

Sanchez is a perfectly fine backup that, under the right circumstances, could win a heap of games. As Maxx alluded to, Peyton was terrible last year, and yet they won the SuperBowl. I'd bet that Sanchez doesn't have any game as bad as Peyton's worst 3 from last year, and that he average game stats would be better on the whole than Peyton's.

On the flipside, I think the Broncos D won't be able to carry them all the way again. Patriots look better already - I think the AFC Champ game goes through there.

We've lost some key pieces to the defense, but I'd still say it's the best in the league. I liked when everyone kept doubting them in the playoffs, though, so we can keep that going. :P 

If Sanchez is the starter, which I don't think he will be, it'll be for one year. At this point, I'm pretty positive we will either be taking a quarterback at the end of the first, or likely packaging something together to move up to take one in the second. I still think either Kaep or RG3 ends up there. Elway has said more than a few times that they're not done trying to get someone else in for the competition. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

You should always assume when I'm discussing sports or wrestling, that it's in regards to 1997.

Then again, it's pretty bad when you're arguing that 8-8 and 7-9 seasons aren't 'sucking', but that's the state of the Raiders in 2016. There was a time those would have been completely unacceptable.

:(

• Like 1

LA Rams have also been confirmed as one of the teams for the 2018 International Series game in China.

19 hours ago, Lineker said:

In a move that will cause sweeping changes to NFL offensive strategy for the 2016 season and beyond, owners decided Tuesday at the NFL Annual Meeting to abolish any and all "chop" style blocks.

It was a move met with immediate and resounding praise from defensive players tired of getting their legs cut out from underneath them. Offensive lineman, however, were less than enthused as the block was still legal in certain situations. Over the last few years, various changes to the rules have limited the scope on how players could use the technique. It was a valuable tool for offensive linemen coming from the weak side and could even out some speed discrepancies. However, the speed and target area of the blocks could lead to serious injury.

It will cut down on those possible injuries but now we will get even more holding penalties. I understand the need to try to take any "unnecessary" blocks or situations out of the game but man, they're really finding new ways to neuter this game. I wish they'd add penalties to wide receivers and defensive backs that always throw up their hands/call for a flag after every fucking pass attempt.