Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

"A lot of work to be done" didn't cut it when LVG spent hundreds of millions. It shouldn't cut it when Jose spends hundreds of millions either. I get why Jose would set up the way he did, but we went into the match looking to not lose. Not to win the game, but to not lose it. Which is fine, whatever. 1 point is more than zero.

But this should serve as a reality check to every Man Utd fan who thought Jose was going to bring attacking football with him. That's not a thing he does and that's not going to happen under him, really.

We have played attacking football though. Like I say, we tried it against City too (so it's not like he abandons attacking football in all big games) and came away with nothing. Fully expecting to have a similar discussion on Sunday, as we'll set up much the same way, I think.

Where LVG failed was that he was so rigid in his set-up regardless of opponent. Hard to beat, but a slow, boring possession game which often resulted in dropped points against sides in the bottom half instead of attacking them. Could never fault his record against the big sides, but feel he would have succeeded if he let us be more expressive once in a while.

• Like 1

The fact Man Utd fans seem happy/satisfied to play for and get a 0-0 draw at Anfield is probably a mark of how far the club has fallen since Fergie retired.

Mourinho is so dull, I am quite keen to see him fail at United not least because it might mean he leaves the Premier League forever. What a day that'd be.

• Like 1

Fergie quite regularly rocked up to Anfield to try and played for a scrappy 1-0 or 2-1 win, I don't get what was so wrong with Mourinho's approach yesterday, you know you're taking on an in form team with a team that's a work in progress of course you'll set up defensively and try and grab something (which if Ibra had shown better quality could easily have been the case). I think if we had Martial fit then we would have seen a better counter attack from United but that'd be the only criticism I'd have for them, they came to Anfield, shut down an on form team and left with a respectable point. 

There is also a big difference in Mourinho doing this than Van Gaal having a system that he used for every game and was always boring to watch, the Stoke match the other day was a great performance that had the weird result of 1-1 rather than 4 or 5 nil. 

• Like 2

I'm mostly angry because his game plan worked to perfection. Mourinho lives to suck the life out of football and that's fine, his team got the result they wanted and thus 'won' last night, but to act like he's above criticism for it is stupid. I wouldn't take Mourinho at Liverpool in a million years, even if he brought a metric fuckton of titles with him.

• Like 1

Just Sky subscribers I think. If you already subscribe to Sky Sports you won't really be missing anything, as the games they show are usually on another channel too. I presume the Bournemouth-Spurs game will be on one of the other Sky Sports channels as well. And I think you can red button it on a Sunday for Red Zone if you don't have Mix, and it's been on other channels as well at times.