Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

Liverpool have introduced a 'youth wage cap' starting at £40,000 a year for 17 year old first year scholars in a bid to cut down on the 'too much, too soon' culture of youth football.

I love the idea but the cynic in me suggests that all that is going to happen is that all of Liverpool's youth prospects are going to end up in Manchester by the time they're 20.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Liverpool have introduced a 'youth wage cap' starting at £40,000 a year for 17 year old first year scholars in a bid to cut down on the 'too much, too soon' culture of youth football.

I love the idea but the cynic in me suggests that all that is going to happen is that all of Liverpool's youth prospects are going to end up in Manchester by the time they're 20.

Tbh if they want to fuck off and get paid a bunch of more money and end up rotting in the reserves and end up dropping down the leagues they can do. I'd rather have youngsters who are motivated for sporting reasons rather than financial. Although saying that I can't blame someone for signing for say City or Chelsea cause you'll be given a stupid amount of money a week. 

This is part of a whole revamping of our youth policy which is much needed. We are focusing on quality now rather than quantity and we've been cutting the numbers down for each age group. We are encouraging youngsters to play for school teams or local teams. If Klopp could get his own way I'd imagine he would have it so the academy and the first team could be training at the same location but I can't see that happening any time soon. 

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

I think that's kind of the point. Klopp's starting to look at revamping our youth structure, and presumably this is way of weeding out the fame-seekers.

I'm always one to point out that once you get to the ludicrous heights of £100k a week that extra £40k or whatever that Chelsea would offer you is barely worth it, you're already stupidly rich, but if Liverpool are only offering me £40k pa in a job where I could end my career in a freak injury I'm going to whoever's offering me more. How does that compare across the board?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davidmarrio said:

Tbh if they want to fuck off and get paid a bunch of more money and end up rotting in the reserves and end up dropping down the leagues they can do. I'd rather have youngsters who are motivated for sporting reasons rather than financial. Although saying that I can't blame someone for signing for say City or Chelsea cause you'll be given a stupid amount of money a week. 

That's all well and good until you encounter a worldbeater of a 17 year old who walks into the first team. They're rare, but they happen and you can be assured that structure will be ripped up pretty quick in the right instance.

I get the Loftus-Cheek's wages at Chelsea are a joke but what happens when you get a Rashford/Rooney/Owen type prospect signing pro terms at 17. You're sure as shit not going to be stubborn offering £770 a week to that kid.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TCO said:

That's all well and good until you encounter a worldbeater of a 17 year old who walks into the first team. They're rare, but they happen and you can be assured that structure will be ripped up pretty quick in the right instance.

I get the Loftus-Cheek's wages at Chelsea are a joke but what happens when you get a Rashford/Rooney/Owen type prospect signing pro terms at 17. You're sure as shit not going to be stubborn offering £770 a week to that kid.

The wage cap is for academy prospects, not first team players. I imagine such a wonderkid would be offered a senior contract pretty sharpish.

10 minutes ago, Adam said:

Automatically one of their best chants to be fair. This is the fanbase that sings "You're getting mauled by the tigers" whilst making cat clawing gestures, completely unironically.

Cat, a kitty cat, and a MAUL MAUL MAUL and a MAUL MAUL MAUL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam said:

Automatically one of their best chants to be fair. This is the fanbase that sings "You're getting mauled by the tigers" whilst making cat clawing gestures, completely unironically.

I used to work with a few Hull fans, one of them unapologetically had their walkout music as his phone ringtone which at the time was 'that music off the Apprentice' (sorry) with someone reading William Blake's 'The Tyger' in a pseudo scary voice over the top. I'll be honest, I was actually surprised that they rejected the name change.