2016 Rio Summer Olympics

Today has been a day of massive upsets.

Canada beat Germany in the Women's football, Japan beat NZ in the rugby and Serena Williams has just been knocked out of the tennis.

And then there's this in the diving... :/

_90733041_pool.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I know a few people who know him who say he's really not as full of himself as is led on. He messed up a few times when he was younger, but most of us did.

Yeah Phelps had kind of a weird reputation around here but nothing you wouldn't expect from a guy in their 20s hanging out in the bar scene. My brother's ex swam with him and always spoke glowingly of his mom. When you're that good at something and have a million people pulling you in every direction it's hard to really develop perspective. Retiring/unretiring, messing up with the DUI, getting engaged, and having a kid all in a short span of time is going to suddenly hit you with a ton of perspective.

• Like 1

What about Katie Ladecky? i think we've got a potential superstar in the making, right there.

So far, I've only got two gripes with the Olympics:

1. China winning gold in the women's synchronized diving was bullshit. I think the judging was fixed. They were given a better score than two teams that dived after them but did better. During the dive in question, one of the women had her arms too far back at the midpoint of the dive, while a couple of teams that did damn near perfect got worse scores.

2. Russia should have been banned from the Olympics completely. At least the Paralympics had the guts to make it a blanket ban. Lilly King called out Yulia Efimova, who was caught doping on two different occasions, which should have been enough to keep her out.. Efimova replying that King's comments were `just politics' is a load of garbage. She was supposed to be banned, but the IOC stupidly overturned it and let her compete. If even ONE Russian is caught doping in these games, I hope that's enough to get the country a blanket ban at the next summer games.

I watched a bit of USA v Columbia in the footie and saw the world's most adorable t shirt on a girl in the crowd. It was one of those Beatles t-shirts with

Zico &

Pele &

Romario &

Ronaldo &

Neymar

But she'd crossed out Neymar and handwritten Marta with hearts round it. Awesome.

• Like 1