Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

Just now, Arjen Robben said:

Would be proper funny if Liverpool lost the Champions League final and also ended up finishing 5th.

Plus side for them is that there's 13 days between the last league game and the CL final, so they'll definitely go full strength against Brighton. Can't see them fucking that one up.

Yeah we still have to win both our games and hope for lucky results. Still, keeps the final day interesting (unless we too drop points against Huddersfield...).

1 hour ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Wenger - “I will miss you” 

😭

Wenger - "I will miss you...apart from DT, Claude and Troopz, you can get fucked. Ty we're cool though" 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Wenger - “I will miss you” 

😭

Instead of saying bye bye or whatever it was, he should have said "Wenger out" and dropped the mic.

8 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Or “fuck the lot of you” which is closer to what they deserved.

Hey, I’ve continued to support Wenger, I wouldn’t deserve that! 😰

Sky are reporting that Allegri and Enrique are wanted by Arsenal but both have reservations about working with the new structure at the club. So it begins.

I read that about those two but also that Arteta is still apparently the leading candidate and I just think literally WHY is he the leading candidate? On what basis? Like standing next to Pep somehow makes him overqualified or something. Seems ridiculous to me that a club like Arsenal would be ever considering appointing someone who's only experience is as a coach.

4 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

I read that about those two but also that Arteta is still apparently the leading candidate and I just think literally WHY is he the leading candidate? On what basis? Like standing next to Pep somehow makes him overqualified or something. Seems ridiculous to me that a club like Arsenal would be ever considering appointing someone who's only experience is as a coach.

Personally, I wouldn’t be 100% against Arteta being appointed. I’d rather someone with more experience, but you have to start somewhere. 

He’s been learning under Guardiola for two years now, and by all accounts, he’s very highly thought of at Man City and is practically in charge of all the video data analysis of the teams peformances etc and feeds it all back to Guardiola. So he is gaining plenty of knowledge and experience from that point of view, it just isn’t all put out there in public all that much. 

The way the club is heading is that we will have a “head coach” anyway, so somebody like him would fit the bill. Literally just focused on what’s happening on the training pitch and on matches. We have Raul and Sven to deal with off the field matters and player recruitment now.

It just feels like such a small club move too, like it's what we've basically always done until recently. Bryan Robson, Steve McClaren, Aitor Karanka etc, guys had only been assistants, I feel like smaller clubs have the ability to try that because they don't have that wide a range of available options that would be interested, but a team like Arsenal can't really afford to piss about experimenting with inexperienced coaches who've never managed before I think, and when they have top managers like an Allegri that would apparently be interested you should be going for them.

The main thing I worry about is that if we do appoint an Arteta or whoever, the “Wenger out” will start a similar thing if we’re say 5th at Christmas. Then start moaning about he’s not “who they wanted” etc etc. 

29 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

The main thing I worry about is that if we do appoint an Arteta or whoever, the “Wenger out” will start a similar thing if we’re say 5th at Christmas. Then start moaning about he’s not “who they wanted” etc etc. 

This is what worries me. I don't think we'll get anyone in that'll satisfy everyone and I know there'll be some twats that will expect nothing less than winning the league immediately.

For what it's worth I wouldn't choose Arteta and tbh I think I'd be disappointed if it's not Allegri.

4 minutes ago, Kaney said:

This is what worries me. I don't think we'll get anyone in that'll satisfy everyone and I know there'll be some twats that will expect nothing less than winning the league immediately.

For what it's worth I wouldn't choose Arteta and tbh I think I'd be disappointed if it's not Allegri.

I think Allegri’s my first choice as well. Although whoever it is, I’ll be fully supportive of them.

World Cup year is such a terrible year for a new guy to come in though. 

• Like 1

Coaches have to start somewhere as managers, and some have absolutely made it work by starting at the top level. Look at Guardiola, you might strike gold with Arteta.

That said, with the pressure on at a top club that is struggling like Arsenal it would be a huge gamble, but I see obvious risks with 'established' names like Allegri and certainly Enrique too.