2017 College Football Thread

This is most certainly gonna come across as sour grapes after a great game (because it is) but that game pretty much summed up why I hate Bama so much.  How many other schools in the country would be in a position to bench their 25-2 QB at halftime of the title game for a true freshman and actually have it work out in their favor?  The team is so spoiled it's beyond ridiculous.

It really felt like the Super Bowl all over again to me.  Objectively an exciting, thrilling game to watch in real time but the whole final quarter was just filled me with an impending sense of doom that the team that's already won enough to last its fans a lifetime was gonna win yet another championship.  It's not an easy feeling to understand unless you hate Bama/the Pats as much as I do but man.....when you loathe a team that much watching them pull that off is only slightly less worse than watching your own favorite team blow it.

On one hand I can't wait for Saban and Belichick to retire so maybe their teams can stop being the exception to the laws of parity.  On the other hand I know it's better off for the sports themselves to have a true villain that everyone can get invested in watching just to root against them.

• Like 1

They shouldn't have been in the playoffs to begin with.  If its just a committee picking the 4 best teams, then why bother with conference title games, as obviously Alabama doesn't even have to qualify for one to get in.  If the conference title games matter, then you shouldn't be able to get in without winning one.  It can't be both, that invalidates the entire thing. 

Sometimes the best team in the country may stumble, it shouldn't be the committee's job to make up for that.  Sometimes shit just goes wrong and a team will end up not meeting the qualifications for the playoffs, and that's perfectly fucking fine.  This year the committee basically said "Well, the season didn't unfold how we wanted it to or expected it to, so we'll just ignore that and put a team has done less than others in because we think they are better."  The SEC title game was so absurdly unfair to Georgia, because you know damn well that if Georgia lost they would have gotten bounced from the top 4, while an Alabama team that couldn't lose because they couldn't qualify to play in the game, would get in.  

They need to expand it already, or stop acting like the regular season matters.

What team is better than Alabama to get that #4 spot? Ohio State? Talk about regular season not mattering, you'd have a two-loss team that gave up 55 points and lost by 34 to a 7-5 team over a one-loss team that lost, on the road, to a Top-15 team? The committees job is to put the four best teams in. Conference championships need to be graded on a scale because NOT ALL CONFERENCES are created equal. I hate the SEC, but even I can admit a one-loss Alabama is more impressive than a two-loss (with one being a blow out) Ohio State.

The committee got it right. Alabama was the best team all year long. Anybody watching can't honestly say they weren't. 

• Like 2

If you can't even make your conference title game, you shouldn't be in the top 4.  It should be as cut and dry as that.  Why does Alabama get to play one less game then everyone else and get a playoff spot?  A playoff spot you know damn well they would have gotten over Georgia had Georgia lost the conference title game, a game Alabama didn't even qualify for.  It's terrible optics, and it begs the question just how far is the committee going to go to protect a team they think is one of the 4 best?  Clearly they're fine with ignoring a team's inability to qualify for a conference title game.  They fucking coddled Alabama and set it up so that they were going in regardless of what happened in SEC title game.  It's bullshit.  

The best team can fuck up and take themselves out of the running.  Mistakes happen, the committee shouldn't be protecting teams from that.  If any of the 3 other teams in the top 4 lost their conference title game, they ran the risk of getting bounced from the playoff.  Meanwhile, Alabama can't make theirs, gets to rest their players for an extra week and gets an automatic spot for doing less than everyone else.   They took on no extra risk at the end of the season, due to their own failure and were rewarded for it. The conference title games mattered for every other team, it should matter for Alabama.  And if they fucked up their chance at it?  Oh well, they can go be commiserate with the 07 Patriots and the 98 Vikings or any other team that was the best in the country and blew their chance.

There is no protecting. You can't seriously sit there and say Alabama is not one of the four best teams in the country, especially since they've just beaten two of the best four in the last two weeks. 

You can harp on and on about conferences and conference champions all you'd like, but this isn't like the NFL where conferences are equal. The Big-10 consisted of an Ohio State team that got throttled by an (as usual) average Iowa team. They have Penn State, who also had two losses. And then they had Wisconsin who would have gotten in over Alabama, had they won their championship game, but they didn't because they proved all along that they were a weak team in a weak conference, with a weak ass schedule. 

Again, who would you put in over a one-loss Alabama team? Christ, I hate Saban and that program, but I can't think of any other team that was more justified IN BEING ONE OF THE FOUR BEST TEAMS over them. That's the point of the committee. Not to say, "Oh well Ohio State won their conference, so we'll look over the fact that they got utterly destroyed by an average, at best, team in Iowa. They're still clearly better than Alabama!" 

Again, if Wisconsin wins their Big-10 title game, they're undefeated. They get in. But trying to argue that any other team is better than Alabama for that #4 spot is wrong. They were/are a Top-4 team. And they proved it over the last two weeks. And all four teams had a month to prepare, so you can't crow that 'Bama having one more week off made that much of a difference, because it didn't.