College Football 2023

Lineker

Big 12 votes to add Arizona, Arizona State and Utah.  And so it’s down to PAC-4.  Oregon State and Washington State surely will be going into the MWC, no idea what Cal and Stanford do though.

38 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Big 12 votes to add Arizona, Arizona State and Utah.  And so it’s down to PAC-4.  Oregon State and Washington State surely will be going into the MWC, no idea what Cal and Stanford do though.

Big Ten was already looking to add Cal and Stanford so I'm sure they will join too. 

I feel like if I'm a Cal or a Stanford and my university's endowment is so large not because of sports I just say fuck it and kill the football program. It's a race to siphon as much money away from smaller schools and community fanbases as possible, and they're better off just trying to be a west coast Ivy than a top tier FBS school.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that people can watch college football cannibalize itself in the pursuit of money, and lament that happening…but somehow can’t understand that the NFL’s cabal of billionaires are waiting patiently to steal their piece of the same pie.

“Why would they kill their own free feeder league?”  They wouldn’t, way too many college football players to ever do that.  But as CFB continues to erode the line between amateur and professional, there will come a time when the NFL takes the top tier of college aged players for themselves.

The XFL and USFL are showing there’s an appetite for minor league football.  Stock a league like that with the best young players in the country, and some TV network will pay enough for the broadcast rights to make it a financially beneficial option.

The moment the NFL thinks it can make money off 18 year old players, and is allowed to pay them as professionals, they will do that, college football be damned.

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

I like that people can watch college football cannibalize itself in the pursuit of money, and lament that happening…but somehow can’t understand that the NFL’s cabal of billionaires are waiting patiently to steal their piece of the same pie.

“Why would they kill their own free feeder league?”  They wouldn’t, way too many college football players to ever do that.  But as CFB continues to erode the line between amateur and professional, there will come a time when the NFL takes the top tier of college aged players for themselves.

The XFL and USFL are showing there’s an appetite for minor league football.  Stock a league like that with the best young players in the country, and some TV network will pay enough for the broadcast rights to make it a financially beneficial option.

The moment the NFL thinks it can make money off 18 year old players, and is allowed to pay them as professionals, they will do that, college football be damned.

Would 18 year old players be good enough to make an NFL team though? Or do you mean the NFL will make it's own type of Minor League?

Yup, and people who think that a cabal of billionaires will care about respecting or preserving the traditions of college football are going to be in for a rude awakening. 

Now it looks like the Atlantic Coast Conference will be adding traditional east coast powerhouses SMU, Stanford and Cal.

I think I would dislike re-alignment less if it came with a requirement that conferences have to change their names.   Either way, schools need to completely remove football from the same conference consideration the rest of their sports get.  No reason the Olympic sports should be thrown into the ridiculous travel schedules football wants to jump into.  Put football in its own conference classification and keep reasonable, regional conferences for everything else besides maybe basketball.

It does seem quite fair that SMU gets to go back to a Power 5 conference, now that the money is flowing freely in college football.

• Like 3

Thinking about Minor League Football again - wouldn't the NFL be better allowing the NCAA to build up the player's hypes and then the guys don't make the cuts or whatever then can get optioned to the "minors" - there's got to be plenty of guys that have some star power in certain markets after playing college ball that could play for a minor league affiliate team. Those guys could basically act as the practice squad then and if a team has an injury they can call them up. 

• Like 1