College Football 2023

Lineker

UConn lost to NC State 24-14 last night in front of the largest home crowd they've had in almost a decade.  Some definite mental mistakes particularly with penalties, but this is a team that blew them out 41-10 last year.

They'll never be a great football program and they'll likely stay in this weird football independent spot indefinitely (as they should really, basketball has to stay in the Big East and if they ever left that conference again to put football first they'll deserve another dark age), but Jim Mora seems to have this program being at least competent and watchable.  A lot more than I could ever say for Randy Edsall's 2nd run.

Brian Kelly, true to form, suggested the players take accountability in his post-game press conference. They (the players) need to figure out what they did wrong and fix it.

Him leaving and us promoting Marcus Freeman is the best thing that's happened to the program in decades. Have fun paying him $8 million a year, Bayou Bengals. 

2 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

I've said for years that adding more teams to the playoffs kills the excitement of the major upsets. I'm telling ya. They're killing what makes college football unique. In a few years it'll be NFL Jr.

Amazon.com: Backyard Football 2001 : Video Games

I'm just laughing over all the people out there saying Colorado is great, Prime will be coach of the year, and other nonsense. After they play Oregon and USC, hopefully people will shut up.

Glad Texas beat the Crimson Turd. 

Fans are excited over the Buffaloes and acting as if Prime is practically a Hall of Fame coach already. Yes, Colorado managed to beat a team that played in the last national championship game, but they're ignoring a few things: 1. TCU isn't the same team they were last year. They dropped out of the top 10 when the preseason rankings were released. 2. Colorado has no defense. TCU only scored 7 points vs. Georgia, yet this shadow of its former self team managed to put up 42 points against the Buffaloes. 3. They may not even be contenders for their own conference championship. I see at least 3 conference losses likely to happen, and will be surprised if they manage to have a record better than 5 wins. 

As for Texas, this "Texas is back!" bullshit is the same crap Dallas Cowboys haters accuse us Cowboys fans of, which isn't necessarily true. Alabama is on a decline, and will lose 1 or 2 more games, maybe even 3. I have Texas going 9-3, but they've proven they *might* be able to hang with some of the teams when they join the SEC, but a few teams aren't exactly quaking in their boots over having to face the Longhorns eventually. (Oklahoma should be scared about joining the conference.)

I just can't believe that I'll be pulling for Notre Dame, a team I can't stand, when they face Ohio State later this month.

Edited by GhostMachine

3 hours ago, damhausen said:

Chalk Vols -6.5 down to one of my worst bets.

The first half, the Vols beat themselves. The second half, the Gators and the refs did. ie, that substitution.

I'll be surprised if Mixon isn't benched within the next game or two, if he doesn't step it up.

The good news is, after this week's performance, Alabama being on the downslope is probably true. They didn't slaughter their "who the fuck are they?!" opponent. I'm not worried about Georgia and South Carolina's game, because the Gamecocks usually play tough. Unranked and underrated.

I've also seen a few Ohio State fans act like their team actually accomplished something because they wiped the floor with Western Kentucky. Save that noise for when they actually do that to a good, ranked team. Which won't happen.

Mel Tucker is about to be fired by MSU. You probably all know the story by now. I really just wanted to note that shitbag Matt Ishbia paid 24 million of his contract. The same Ishbia that bought the Phoenix Sun's while his mortgage employees contemplate suicide and have panic attacks due to the shit pay and shit conditions. 

Oh and he gave a job to rapist Mateen Cleaves because nepotism. 

I've never been particularly invested in the MSU vs U of M thing bit MSU really has produced a lot of scuzzy people.