College Football 2023

Lineker

There’s no way the committee aren’t all actively rooting for a Louisville comeback in these final 5 minutes to make their lives easier.

This is where the rankings cause problems.  I don’t think there’s any objective argument that FSU’s a better team than Bama.  Bama, unlike FSU, have an actual shot at winning a natty.

But if you’re gonna rank an undefeated team in the top 4 ahead of championship weekend and they go out and close out their season by winning the conference title - how the hell do you yank them out last second?

It would be hilarious to have no SEC team in it but the bias for that conference is well-established.  I’d be shocked if someone doesn’t get bumped for Bama.

It's been a weaker year than any other for the SEC, they've struggled a bit with out of conference games that they used to have no trouble with. It's why Alabama was still down at 8, behind the other one-loss teams.

There hasn't been a lot of consistency in what they favor, but they do seem to look at how well a team has played recently when they consider who to select. That makes an FSU inclusion extremely hard, they're undefeated but they haven't been playing great and it won't get better without a good QB. They will get steamrolled by Michigan. Meanwhile, the other teams in consideration will all make a game of it.

6 hours ago, Krabby said:

Just get rid of Georgia, easy

Then you're left with a decision between two conference champs in Alabama and Texas.

It's pretty messy because you feel like all of Georgia, Alabama, and Texas can string together two wins against anyone to win the championship. You don't feel that way about FSU without Travis.

Betting markets can likely give us some clarity - they like Michigan, Washington, FSU, and Texas. Not sure on the order, wouldn't be shocked if they put Texas at 3 to preserve the Michigan-Texas title game. 

The other funny thing about the betting markets is Alabama has better odds to win the nat'l championship than FSU. Which I think is reasonable since they are a better team than FSU, who went undefeated but whose best win came all the way back in week 1 against an LSU team Alabama also beat. Early season wins should also absolutely be weighted as less valuable than late season wins. Teams are generally learning in real-time what works and what doesn't.

Ohio State and Georgia are both better teams than FSU too I'd wager. Oregon as well?! With or without Travis, but especially without.

This is why college football has always annoyed me, playoff spots or a championship shouldn't be decided on opinion. 

Kirby Smart loses a title game and goes on air to basically plead his case for a playoff spot - just dumb. WIN THE GAME, KIRBY! 

In this case, I guess, you leave out both Bama and Georgia. Georgia lost to Bama and Texas beat Bama.. Screw the SEC. 

I hope everyone who has been in the "Notre Dame needs to join a conference!" bandwagon can suck three butts, considering a 12-1 Georgia, who hadn't lost in three years and was two-time defending champions, got eliminated from a three-peat due to a 3-point loss, and 13-0 ACC Champion Florida State didn't even get the #4 seed.

Playoff is illegitimate with FSU left out. It's gonna open a whole can of worms in a sport that's already doing it's best to commit suicide chasing paper. No, I'm not just mad that Chip Kelly is a shit coach who just let our DC go to our crosstown rivals, why do you ask?

Alabama didn't deserve to be in over Texas or FSU. Committee were too cowardly to leave the SEC out, can't cross our ESPN overlords, can we?

I'm still sad about the Conference of Champions dying, but at least we'll be safe in a major conference now. ACC might not survive this, why would FSU or Clemson (and probably Miami too) want to stay in a conference where you can go undefeated and miss the playoffs?

Stupid, short-sighted decision.

Go Huskies, I guess.

I know I'm avoiding all College Football related posts on Facebook for a while. They're all mainly either about Colorado/Deion Sanders (fuck that), Florida State being left out, or Alabama (either whining that they're in, or claiming the other teams are afraid of them). One whack ass fool made a post about how all SEC fans hate Alabama, until its the playoffs and we all root for them. That's bullshit. I hate Alabama, period. But not as much as I hate Ohio State. I pulled for Alabama against Ohio State when they played for the Natty not only because my hatred for them is deeper, but because a team that only played 4 regular season games and still made the playoffs was absolute bullshit. 

Edited by GhostMachine