College Football 2023

Lineker

At least there will be nobody arguing team 13 had a shot at winning anything (which would be the same deal with a 6 team or 8 team format). It'll just hurt the SMU's of the world who, despite playing and beating much better teams, got left out of the Fiesta Bowl in favor of undefeated, but beat nobody, Liberty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

At least there will be nobody arguing team 13 had a shot at winning anything (which would be the same deal with a 6 team or 8 team format). It'll just hurt the SMU's of the world who, despite playing and beating much better teams, got left out of the Fiesta Bowl in favor of undefeated, but beat nobody, Liberty.

All the more reason to embrace chaos and claim the FCS winner is the only true national champion. :shifty:

• Like 1

So here's how the first round of the playoffs would've looked if next year's format was in effect:

BYES:  Michigan, Washington, Texas, FSU (I think they'd have just kept them 4th and not rocked the boat in an expanded field)

#5 Alabama vs. #12 Liberty - they get an extra game for Bama ratings but it would be a bloodletting

#6 Georgia vs. #11 Ole Miss - again, the networks win because of SEC ratings but this was a 52-17 blowout last time and probably wouldn't be much different this time around

#7 Ohio State vs. #10 Penn State - okay, this was a 20-12 game last time and you'd figure it'd be close again, it'd be funny to see James Franklin lose another big game

#8 Oregon vs. #9 Missouri - bleh, Missouri's defense is legit but it'd probably play out similarly to the Big 10 game, they wouldn't be able to hold Oregon off the board the whole time.

So that's 1 possibly good game out of 4.  The 2nd round would be better - Bama/FSU would be a Bama blowout surely but then Ohio State/Washington, Georgia/Texas, and Oregon/Michigan could all possibly be fun.

Maybe they should've expanded to 8 instead of 12.  Neutering the regular season to this degree for what will be first round blowouts most of the time isn't worth it.

6 would have been fine, 8 would probably be perfect.  Instead we started with 4 which wasn't enough and now go straight to 12 which is too many.  I wonder how many spots the inevitable Big 10/SEC splinter league will have.

On 04/12/2023 at 07:31, gunnar hendershow said:

I absolutely hate seeing Liberty getting any kind of prominence or recognition. Fuck Jerry Falwell and the people running that place. Central PA sees a lot of kids go there for college, and they leave it almost always radicalized. Hate seeing them become a good small sized university football program.

On 05/12/2023 at 14:25, Michelle Branch said:

Would you rather it be Southern METHODIST then? Seems six of one, half dozen of the other to me.

Southern METHODIST is a nonsectarian school.  SMU split from the United Methodist Church in 2019 because UMC declared it was going to continue to discriminate against LGBTQ people.   So no, it's far from the same as Liberty.

And from a football history perspective, SMU still deserves a lot of breaks for what the NCAA did to it's program.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/12/2023 at 11:45, gunnar hendershow said:

Looks like FSU is preparing to leave the ACC. Can't imagine Clemson isn't too far behind.

I've heard rumors that a third team (no word on who) might be leaving, as well. 

Hope none of them attempt to join the SEC. With Texas and Oklahoma joining, the conference will be fine at that size. (Though I wouldn't complain if Alabama or Florida left.)

4 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I've heard rumors that a third team (no word on who) might be leaving, as well. 

Hope none of them attempt to join the SEC. With Texas and Oklahoma joining, the conference will be fine at that size. (Though I wouldn't complain if Alabama or Florida left.)

My hunch would be Miami as they're the other "big dog" in terms of revenue and expenditures. Maybe Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia, or Louisville feel they're at their ceiling in the ACC though and need to bounce.