College Football 2023

Lineker

Okay it would be kind of hilarious if Ryan Day went to Bama and immediately started winning championships.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Okay it would be kind of hilarious if Ryan Day went to Bama and immediately started winning championships.

Day winning enough games to make the playoffs coaching an SEC team would require an investigation into whether college football is rigged or not.....

Had a good laugh in Facebook last night:

In one of the SEC fan groups, someone did a tiered ranking of the teams next season, and I realized it was an Oklahoma fan right away, because they had the Sooners ranked on tier one as a contender, and had Texas at the bottom. I've got both as mid-tier, but with Texas possibly a threat. 

A bunch of Oregon players are taking to social media to say Lanning isn’t going anywhere.  I sense it is just wishful thinking.

Ducks fans have seen lots of coaches leave over the years.  If Lanning says no to Bama of all places they probably won’t have to worry about losing him anytime soon.

Quinn Ewers has declined to declare for the draft and will return to Texas for another season.

Early word is that Arch Manning is not considering a transfer.  So it'll effectively be a 2nd redshirt season for him unless he's pressed into duty.

In theory, he could take over as starter in 2025, play one season and then instantly go pro if he has a good year and the draft buzz is there.  Family history would suggest he'll stay for a 4th year of college, though.

Reading a bit between the lines it almost sounds like Saban decided that day he'd retire. Probably was toying with it for awhile but while interviewing coaching candidates couldn't really give a definitive "I'm coaching (x) more years" and decided that now was the time.

He also is pretty clearly burnt out with all the extra work NIL and the portal are making for coaches. This weird bridge between players getting the treatment of professionals but without having the responsibility of professionals, all the outside noise it's caused, etc.

He finished an interview with an assistant coach candidate and then 5 minutes later went out and announced he retired.  I guess that candidate won't be wondering how the interview went.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Maxx said:

He finished an interview with an assistant coach candidate and then 5 minutes later went out an announced he retired.  I guess that candidate won't be wondering how the interview went.

Jeez I've bombed interviews before but never to the point of making someone retire. 

• Haha 2

Needing a great incoming recruiting class isn't as big a deal now as it was before, you can spend Jan & Feb plugging a ton of holes through the portal. I believe Washington originally had its next QB through that.

But he was never long for Washington either way. Alabama was a stroke of luck but he could've as easily had gone to Michigan after Harbaugh leaves in a week or somewhere else next season.

Also on the topic of recruiting, one of Bama's premier recruiter has joined Kirby Mary's staff at Georgia. If you were wondering who was going to own that conference and the sport for the next decade.

42 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Maryland is probably convinced they can sell all the Bama players on Locksley having coached there before.

And then of course none of them will transfer to a team that can ever finish at best fourth in their conference.

But what about hot new freshaman QB Shmaulia Shmagovailoa?

• Haha 2