2019 College Football Thread

Exactly, can get your degree later, get your money now, because it might not be there next year.

Jadaveon Clowney’s cousin committed to Ole Miss.  His name is Demon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Exactly, can get your degree later, get your money now, because it might not be there next year.

Jadaveon Clowney’s cousin committed to Ole Miss.  His name is Demon

Demon Clowney - is he from AAA or CMLL?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Carlos Buschtran said:

I used to always be in the “stay in school” camp but with the reality of injuries, I’m now more of the thought that guys should try to get paid as soon as they feel they are able...but even if they do leave early, take classes during the spring and summer semesters and finish up that degree.

But, as Meacon said, sometimes the college experience outweighs everything else, and that experience varies person to person.

Matt Leinart is still the top example of that for me.  With all the talk on Rodgers trying to get revenge on the Niners last Sunday, Smith vs Rodgers never would’ve been a discussion as Leinart was the clear #1 pick.  But he stayed in school and with all the pics that surfaced around then in the early days of social media, it sure seemed like he was partying all the time and had a countless amount of girls throwing themselves at him.  Can easily see why a 21/22 year old would be swayed.

Yeah the NFL is (and this is never used lightly) work. You can still just go out and play the game in college and live your life outside it. In the NFL you get basically 1 day off during the season and even then there's a level of competition where you might want to do some homework on that day off.

It's easy to see why guys like staying in school, despite the big financial risks for a lot of them.

I mean the Leinart thing is different, he literally only had one class to take that whole year so of course he had more free time. Maybe Etienne is in a similar boat but if he isn't then, being a college football player is also work. And then you have school on top of that. 

And really, the only reason I said anything is because of the position Etienne plays. If he were anything other than a RB it wouldn't be that big of a deal but pretty much any RB projected to get drafted should go pro ASAP so they don't lose out on potential earnings playing for "free". At least until the NFL adjusts how they treat RBs both financially and schematically. Which may be coming in the new CBA but who knows. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I've been laughing.

Really, a shit show of a recruiting class was inevitable for USC. Everybody in the media and even college coaches were telling recruits that Helton was going to get fired. Why would any players worth their salt commit to him when he was not going to be there when they actually enrolled.

Until USC realized that "shit, no coach worth a damn wants to come here, we intended to keep Clay Helton here all along!" 

I'm having a good laugh because some idiot on Facebook thinks Florida is going to beat Tennessee the next four years straight.

Well, the Vols had some damn good recruiting, and they only play in Florida, where the Gators are allowed to get away with murder, two of those years. 

On 09/02/2020 at 13:58, GhostMachine said:

I'm having a good laugh because some idiot on Facebook thinks Florida is going to beat Tennessee the next four years straight.

Well, the Vols had some damn good recruiting, and they only play in Florida, where the Gators are allowed to get away with murder, two of those years. 

Feels like there's an Aaron Hernandez reference in there

Edited by Lowerdeck

• 2 weeks later...

Catrell Wallace, who is a signee with the Razorbacks, turned himself into police today. Under investigation for sexual assault of a 12 year old.

...shouldn't we have a 2020 CFB Thread by now?