FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

2 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Don't mean to start anything so feel free to ignore me and sorry if it was already brought up but are you English folk happy the team that beat you lost or would you have rather lost to the winner? I always go back and forth on it. Like when the Cubs get knocked out of the playoffs I'll get bitter and hope that team gets killed but then it sometimes makes me feel better we lost to the best team. 

I wanted Croatia to win. A new winner would have been fun.

And as an aside it was refreshing to lose against a team who was just better than us. No dubious decisions, no bullshit red cards or bollocks like that. They were just better than us.

And also fuck the French tbh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Don't mean to start anything so feel free to ignore me and sorry if it was already brought up but are you English folk happy the team that beat you lost or would you have rather lost to the winner? I always go back and forth on it. Like when the Cubs get knocked out of the playoffs I'll get bitter and hope that team gets killed but then it sometimes makes me feel better we lost to the best team.

But like I said ignore this if you want was just curious how you guys felt

I wasn't too fussed who won to be honest, but I take each team on its merits. Croatia beat us fair and square so I'd never begrudge them just for beating us. As it is, I'm not a big fan of either France or Croatia so I just wanted the winning team to have deserved it, and based on today and the whole tournament I'd say France definitely do deserve it.

Just now, The Chiksrara Special said:

You guys are better than me. I ALWAYS begrudge people for beating us :P 

If you get beaten by a better team fair and square that you don't have a rivalry with then why not? If you get cheated out of a win by a team then fuck them with a thistle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

You guys are better than me. I ALWAYS begrudge people for beating us :P 

Not really, you're American, so you are public with your grudges. We're English and reserved, so we repress our grudges and let them fester for decades, sometimes centuries. We remember 1066 you cheese eating surrender monkeys.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the World Cup, though admittedly it's hard not to enjoy it. The next one is going to be strange happening in the fall and all. I wouldn't be surprised to see another dark horse side like Croatia make a run to the final in that one either, so many of the big teams are going to be running on fumes with it just sandwiched into the club season like that. A cool thing is since it's such a small country there's going to be a great atmosphere for the fans that attend, something you don't get in a big country like Brazil, Russia, or especially the North America Cup in 2026.

France absolutely deserve to be champions, tired of pundits saying "oh I don't think they were the better side today." Like okay, then why did they score 4 goals and only allow 2, 1 of which was on a total boner by Lloris? Croatia, Belgium, and Brazil would all have been very worthy as well. Think we might be having a different team lifting the trophy today had Meunier not been suspended for the semifinal. But he was.

This World Cup also featured a great performance from England who can now immediately turn their eyes to 2020, with the final in Wembley, and finally lifting a trophy again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, damsher hatfield said:

A cool thing is since it's such a small country there's going to be a great atmosphere for the fans that attend, something you don't get in a big country like Brazil, Russia, or especially the North America Cup in 2026.  

I hope you're right but I can't see it. There's nothing about "hastily constructed infrastructure in a desert" that screams good atmosphere to me. 

• Like 1

'Football fans baffled at turning up to their opening match and finding nothing but a car park and a hot dog kiosk in the middle of the desert'.

• Like 1

If we get there, I'm definitely going. Shitty desert infrastructure or not! Last chance to see a normal format World Cup too.

Will go to in 2026 if we're there too even though I'll be 34 then 😣 US World Cup is gonna be some atmosphere!

I still think it will be shit. There's going to be somewhere between eight and twelve staidums, five of which will be in Doha (population: 1.3m in 50 sq km) so I imagine the infrastructure demands during the group phase when you could have every team potentially playing at least one match there are going to be atrocious.

On the playing side, it's going to be balls hot for outdoor training and the finalists will have to play seven games in twenty-eight days or less, so injuries are going to be a massive concern. It might end up with the whole tournament being a war of attrition with the winning team being which ever one avoids the most injuries and collective fatigue.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TCO said:

If we get there, I'm definitely going. Shitty desert infrastructure or not! Last chance to see a normal format World Cup too.

Will go to in 2026 if we're there too even though I'll be 34 then 😣 US World Cup is gonna be some atmosphere!

Irish people and the sun. Have you not learned anything from this summer?

13 minutes ago, Colombaddar said:

Loved the World Cup. I'm sure I'll enjoy the next one too, despite the timing.

How many teams are in the Euro's in two years? Have they expanded it?

Edit: Seems it's the same as usual, 24.

I can't imagine them putting the Euros any higher than 24 at any stage. It's already stretching really thin on quality now.