FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

You guys are better than me. I ALWAYS begrudge people for beating us :P 

It being France influenced a lot of English people because old feuds die hard. General opinion will almost always be, in order, 1) Anti-Germany 2) Anti-Argentina 3) Anti-France over any other short term grudges.

Edited by Naitch

1 hour ago, Colombaddar said:

Yeah it was the World Cup I was thinking of where they're planning on having a billion groups of 3 teams with two advancing from each.

Yeah with 2 matches each and they might decide each group stage match with penalty kicks to try and deter potential collusion. It's a terrible format. I'm less bothered by more teams and more bothered by the fact they think that's the way to approach it. They're basically treating the group stage as a lottery to get into the 32-team knockout rounds. Which is neat, I like knockouts. But the drama of the group stages is really where the World Cup feels the best. At least with the 3-team, 2-game format every group stage match means something, but it's a scheduling nightmare. Some lucky nation in each group is going to get to play 2 matches in like 2 weeks, while the others get their 2 matches sandwiched together. 

12 groups of 4 with the top 2 making it out (and the best 8 getting byes) would have been better, but I guess they were worried about fitting it into an already very tight calendar.

2 hours ago, TCO said:

If we get there, I'm definitely going. Shitty desert infrastructure or not! Last chance to see a normal format World Cup too.

Will go to in 2026 if we're there too even though I'll be 34 then 😣 US World Cup is gonna be some atmosphere!

Oh yes because you just fall over and die at 34 :( 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PolaMDK said:

128 team straight knock out with no seedings. Games decided by penalties, matches every three days.

Absolute scenes when Vanuatu scrape a 1-0 win against Brazil in the first round.

9 minutes ago, Colombaddar said:

Modric got player of the tournament, Mbappe young player.

It's funny and sad because we're a little over two weeks away from when academy players will be told whether they're been retained or released and I absolutely guarantee a load of players will be told 'You're too small' despite the World Cup Golden Ball winner being 5'8 and four stone soaking wet.

Just now, Gazzlory Hunter said:

Absolute scenes when Vanuatu scrape a 1-0 win against Brazil in the first round.

I admire your restraint to make a Scotland vs Neverland joke.

I meant more along the lines of having responsibilites and such rather than dying! 😋

I imagine fucking off across the world for 3 weeks will be easier the younger I am!

2 hours ago, Colombaddar said:

Loved the World Cup. I'm sure I'll enjoy the next one too, despite the timing.

How many teams are in the Euro's in two years? Have they expanded it?

Edit: Seems it's the same as usual, 24.

It's upsetting when 24 is now classed as the usual for the Euros :(

Stupid UEFA and FIFA wanting to expand every single tournament 

• Like 1

Bit harsh to the players who have fallen over and died aged 34.

18 minutes ago, TCO said:

I meant more along the lines of having responsibilites and such rather than dying! 😋

I imagine fucking off across the world for 3 weeks will be easier the younger I am!

I'll be 34 then too! maybe I'll have some responsibility by then  :shifty:

20 minutes ago, DMarryMaguire said:

It's upsetting when 24 is now classed as the usual for the Euros :(

Stupid UEFA and FIFA wanting to expand every single tournament 

I don't have a major issue with expansion, just expand it to a number that actually works. 32 in the Euros, 64 in the World Cup, otherwise the bracket looks like that King of the Ring tournament that's causing quite a kerfuffle. 

64 in the World Cup!? That'd be a disaster. Then again, 48 already is.

I initially liked the idea of expanding it up to 40 and having groups of 5, but this proposed format is shit and I fully believe it will turn out to be shit. In truth, 32 teams just works best. Perfect symmetry.

6 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

64 in the World Cup!? That'd be a disaster. Then again, 48 already is.

I initially liked the idea of expanding it up to 40 and having groups of 5, but this proposed format is shit and I fully believe it will turn out to be shit. In truth, 32 teams just works best. Perfect symmetry.

16 and 32 are perfect, but if they're going to expand it it has to be to 64. Just bang in an additional group stage. 2 months of World Cup. Amazing. 

• Lineker unfeatured and unpinned this topic