Premier League 2018/19

Lineker

If I have one criticism of Emery, it is his reluctance to use Ramsey and Ozil from the start. 

So many times this season we have started Lacazette and Aubameyang up front but leave Ramsey and Ozil on the bench, which leaves us with almost zero creativity in midfield. IT really baffles me. 

53 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

If I have one criticism of Emery, it is his reluctance to use Ramsey and Ozil from the start. 

So many times this season we have started Lacazette and Aubameyang up front but leave Ramsey and Ozil on the bench, which leaves us with almost zero creativity in midfield. IT really baffles me. 

I thought Guendouzi and Torreira were excellent in the first half, but creatively our midfield is horrific at the moment. We used to have one of the best midfield with awful strikers, now we've got 2 world class strikers and no midfield.

Away to City, what is the realistic expectation? I hoped for a point beforehand but seeing how bad we were is galling. Why is Iwobi trying to dribble his way out of his own penalty box? Why is Licht not marking anywhere near his man? Why are at least one of Ramsey/Ozil starting?

If it wasn't for Leno that would have been an absolute drubbing.

I honestly think Iwobi, trained to play your way out from the back as a professional footballer, has looked up to look for a forward pass, realised that the furthest forward Arsenal player is Auba on the edge of the D and before he's then thought 'shit, lump it', Laporte has nicked it. You're forty seconds into a match, why are both your strikers in your own box?

43 minutes ago, Kaney said:

I thought Guendouzi and Torreira were excellent in the first half, but creatively our midfield is horrific at the moment. We used to have one of the best midfield with awful strikers, now we've got 2 world class strikers and no midfield.

Away to City, what is the realistic expectation? I hoped for a point beforehand but seeing how bad we were is galling. Why is Iwobi trying to dribble his way out of his own penalty box? Why is Licht not marking anywhere near his man? Why are at least one of Ramsey/Ozil starting?

If it wasn't for Leno that would have been an absolute drubbing.

I completely expected us to lose. It's the same old problem though, it's not the loss itself that's jarring, it is the manner of the loss. Crumbling defensively yet again whilst showing almost no creativity whatsoever to get us back into the game.

I honestly feel like Iwobi is becoming a lost cause at this point. There are certain things I can't see being coached out of him, the worst being the amount of times he dwells on the ball. It's infuriating. 

Lichsteiner should be nowhere near the starting XI as well, I'd rather Jenkinson play to be honest which is laughable, but at least I'd have the comfort of knowing that he will put a shift in every single time. I'm certain he's more defensively aware than Lichsteiner too.

Just now, Liam said:

Good...I guess?

Like, it is better to have some closure I'm thinking.

I guess the families of the two dead would like to bury a body. Like you said, its a bit of closure.

Arsenal have now not won in the last 21 league games away from home against the other teams in the "big six". P21 W0 D7 L14. Awful, awful record. 

Might as well be the "big five" now.

Last time we won was that game in which we beat Manchester City when Francis Coquelin gave a masterclass in the holding midfield role and Santi Cazorla starred alongside him. Seems forever ago. I remember it being talked up as a time we'd turned a corner in these sorts of games and knew how to grind out a result. 

Obviously we learned a lot that day.