Premier League 2018/19

Lineker

Liverpool fans, I know this will be a weight off of your shoulders, but you should know that due to the points you already have and the combination of fixtures remaining, you're mathematically safe from relegation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Admin

There is "genuine concern" Premier League footballer Emiliano Sala was on a flight missing off Alderney.

It is feared the Argentine striker was one of two people on board the Piper Malibu, which disappeared near the Casquets lighthouse on Monday night.

The plane was travelling from Nantes in France to Cardiff.

A coastguard rescue helicopter and crews from Alderney and Guernsey RNLI joined the search in the area around the lighthouse.

HM Coastguard said the disappearance was not in the UK search and rescue area, but it had sent two helicopters to help.

A spokeswoman said they were assisting Guernsey Coastguard with a search for a light aircraft off Alderney: "HM Coastguard helicopters from Solent and Newquay have been helping to search overnight with nothing found."

The search and rescue operation had to deal with worsening conditions as they scoured the area on Monday night.

The Met Office said at the time the aircraft went missing "there were some showers around, but nothing too intense".

"Wind speeds were not too bad - average speeds were around 15 to 20mph," it added.

As the search continued into the evening though, it became wetter and windier.

A lighthouse was first built on the Casquets rocks, infamous among mariners as the site of many shipwrecks, 13km north-west of Alderney in 1724.

HM Coastguard said the helicopter from Newquay has now returned to base to refuel and rest the crew.

Channel Island Air Search have been out since the early hours, and Guernsey's lifeboat crew are superb, so fingers crossed it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Channel Island Air Search have been out since the early hours, and Guernsey's lifeboat crew are superb, so fingers crossed it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

I think it's difficult because the plane requested a descent according to reports, then disappeared from radar and the search was called off at 2am. If it's ditched in the water you aren't making it out alive unless you're rescued immediately.

Especially not over water, all flights over water should be in a twin-engined aircraft. I'm going to guess that the plane's engine iced up, hence the request to descend, but it was already too late.

1 hour ago, Cymbols said:

Bellerin’s season is over. Done his ACL in. Shame for him.

I once saw my mate tear his ACL while stepping on a football. Innocuous as anything but the screams of pain from him, Good Lord they were something else. 9 months out apparently. If I were him I'd start doing my coaching badges in the meanwhile because his career might as well be over.

More fan reaction now from the Cardiff City Stadium.

"I couldn't believe it," said Frank Humphreys, 71, of Canton, Cardiff. "Your first thoughts are for his family but this could totally alter Cardiff's season.

"You couldn't write a script like it. It must have taken a lot of convincing for him to come and it was a huge signing for the club but now we'll never get to see him."

"Yeah, I mean you feel sorry for his family but this has really fucked up our season".