Premier League 2018/19

Lineker

It's a dreadful tragedy, I couldn't quite fathom it when I read earlier. In the same season as the Leicester helicopter crash too.

Why was he flying on a dinky little plane? I figured these footballers always flew about on proper commercial flights.

10 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I dunno, it is a little bit Harchester-y.

So you're saying that that this incident "you couldn't write a script like" bears a resemblance to show Dream Team, noted for having been scripted? :shifty: 

• Haha 1

That sort of light aircraft is flown really often down here, one of my colleagues has a pilot's license and has flown colleagues to the UK in a not dissimilar plane. It's a surprise that they were flying a reasonably long distance in it, but it doesn't strike me as that out of the ordinary. Part of the appeal is that it's easier to travel at your own schedule, rather than relying on airlines, and airports clearing larger planes to land etc.

Apparently flares were sent up, but I'm not sure at what time. Water temperature is likely around 9C at the moment, but waters around any of the smaller Channel Islands are choppy as hell.

The Sala thing is awful, it's so hard to even comprehend. His career was only just peaking and it's just snatched away like that.

Walters is a legend alright. He's always been vocal about his mother's passing. She was the Irish one in the family which explains why he was always so passionate about playing for Ireland. A right good lad!

It's just a horrible situation. 

Football shouldn't even come into the thought process. Lives have more than likely been lost and the wider implications such as people have lost friends, family members etc. 

Apparently police are now prioritising a theory that the plane crashed into the sea and they both made it out on a life raft. 

I believe this is due to French newspapers finding message transcripts from Sala:

A transcript of the audio reads: "Hey brothers, how's everything going? Brother, I'm dead. I was in Nantes doing stuff, stuff, stuff and stuff... neverending, neverending, neverending, neverending. So anyway boys, I'm now on a plane which seems to be falling apart.

"And now I'm leaving for Cardiff, crazy that tomorrow I'll be training in the afternoon with my new teammates. We'll see what happens.

"So how are things with you brothers? All well?

"In an hour and a half if you haven't had news of me, I don't know if they'll send someone to look for me, because they're not going to find me. But, you know...

"Dad, I'm so scared."

Really grim stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/23/emiliano-sala-search-resumes-for-lost-plane-carrying-cardiff-player

According to various sources, the plane that was carrying Sala belonged to football agent William McKay who is not Sala's agent but a representative involved in brokering his transfer from Nantes to Cardiff and appears to have arranged the transportation.

Sounds like he was skimping on expenses after getting the transfer finalised to me and this whole thing could have been avoided.

The entire situation is fucking sad and even more so now they have changed it to a recovery operation.

Aboubakar Kamara has been arrested after a fight with a member of staff at training yesterday. Safe to say his Fulham career is done.

1 hour ago, Liam Mk2 said:

According to various sources, the plane that was carrying Sala belonged to football agent William McKay who is not Sala's agent but a representative involved in brokering his transfer from Nantes to Cardiff and appears to have arranged the transportation.

Sounds like he was skimping on expenses after getting the transfer finalised to me and this whole thing could have been avoided.

The entire situation is fucking sad and even more so now they have changed it to a recovery operation.

I don't wish to cast aspersions on this awful tragedy for Emiliano Sala and the pilot, but I can speak on Willie McKay. He is a really unsavoury character, my club entered into a ridiculous partnership with him to bring in his clients to play for us and, bar El-Hadji Diouf and one or two others, they were all dreadful mercenary footballers who couldn't kick a ball, he just wanted to get them all an easy pay day. His sons came through our academy too and moved on to Leeds.

McKay has been caught with coke in his car before too I believe, among other shady incidents. So if it's true that he had a role in the transfer and travel arrangements, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's the reason behind them travelling on a shoddy plane. I've felt the fact they were flying from Nantes to Cardiff on a dinky plane like this was needless from the outset.

This whole thing is incredibly sad.

• Like 1

• Admin

Wayne Hennessey has been charged by the FA for being a nazi:

Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey has been charged by FA after appearing to perform Nazi salute in Instagram image at meal with teammates. The Wales international denies it was a Nazi salute.

“Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3,” read a statement from the Football Association on Wednesday.

“It is alleged that a gesture he made, which was captured by a photograph and posted on social media, breached Rule E3[1] as it was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute. It is further alleged that this constitutes an ‘Aggravated Breach’, which is defined in Rule E3[2], as it included reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion and/or belief. Hennessey has until 31 January 2019 to respond to the charge.”

Hennessey was seen making the gesture in the background of a group photograph posted on Max Meyer’s Instagram story after Palace’s win over Grimsby earlier this month. If found guilty, he faces a minimum five-match ban.