2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

The Colts have so many problems, I don't even know where to begin. Adding Gore and Johnson, in hindsight, weren't the best moves. Neither one of them really lived up to the expectation that were placed at the beginning of the season. Johnson only really averaged about thirty yards or so per game. His best years are waaaay past him now and I wouldn't be too surprised to actually hear retirement talk coming sooner than later. Although I feel that with Gore, he might have had a better season if the offensive line was any where near halfway decent. And let's not even start on that defense....

Hilton was a bright spot for us, at least. Moncrief didn't do so bad either. The absolute must they need to do these next few months is improve that offensive line. Luck needs time to work and not flee for his life every time he snaps the ball.

4 minutes ago, syck said:

The Colts have so many problems, I don't even know where to begin. Adding Gore and Johnson, in hindsight, weren't the best moves. Neither one of them really lived up to the expectation that were placed at the beginning of the season. Johnson only really averaged about thirty yards or so per game. His best years are waaaay past him now and I wouldn't be too surprised to actually hear retirement talk coming sooner than later. Although I feel that with Gore, he might have had a better season if the offensive line was any where near halfway decent. And let's not even start on that defense....

Hilton was a bright spot for us, at least. Moncrief didn't do so bad either. The absolute must they need to do these next few months is improve that offensive line. Luck needs time to work and not flee for his life every time he snaps the ball.

I thought Gore was okay, there was just a lot of expectation that he'd do greater things. I think a better O-line and a decent relief RB to make a more 1-2 punch would help him out a lot. As for Johnson, did he get many targets? All I remember is him scoring against the Texans, plus that ridiculous TD towards the end of the season where he reached for the pylon as he was being knocked out of bounds.

1 minute ago, DFF said:

I thought Gore was okay, there was just a lot of expectation that he'd do greater things. I think a better O-line and a decent relief RB to make a more 1-2 punch would help him out a lot. As for Johnson, did he get many targets? All I remember is him scoring against the Texans, plus that ridiculous TD towards the end of the season where he reached for the pylon as he was being knocked out of bounds.

From the games I was able to actually watch (I'm like Petite Randy Moss with my cable), Johnson struggled to get open. They targeted him a lot in that Thursday night game against the Texans, but I think that was his lone bright spot on that entire season. I do completely agree about Gore though. The center and guard positions are the two biggest needs right now in terms of their o-line.

8 hours ago, Lineker said:

You know after leaving the office every morning this week after my night shifts I cross on the pavement a guy walking into the building wearing a Titans hat and every morning, I am to myself, like, WHY?

Maybe he's like my mother-in-law and just thought they had pretty colors.

• Like 1

• Admin

The Oakland Raiders announced on Thursday they have reached a one-year agreement to continue playing at O.co Coliseum during the 2016 season.

In addition, the team has agreed to a pair of one-year options to play at the stadium during the 2017 and 2018 seasons.

"It gives us an opportunity to work on a permanent facility here in Oakland," Raiders owner Mark Davis said. "It gives us some certainty for this season as well as flexibility for the next two seasons."

Last month, NFL owners gave the Raiders the possible option of relocating to Los Angeles in 2017 if the San Diego Chargers chose not to share a stadium with the Los Angeles Rams in Inglewood to stay in San Diego. If the Chargers remain in San Diego, the Raiders would have the option next year of relocating to L.A.

The Raiders also announced the hiring of Larry MacNeil to head the stadium development team. He will represent the club in negotiations regarding the development of a new stadium with the City of Oakland and Alameda County. MacNeil, a former 49ers executive, was instrumental in the development of Levi's Stadium.

15 hours ago, Ziggy Srardust said:

Just found out we aren't resigning Forte. I never know how to feel about this stuff. I mean I know you have to get rid of guys before they go down hill and it's all about value and everything but I get attached :( 

Yeah, it's very sad to see him go. I think that, ultimately though, it's the best move for both sides.

We have a good 1-2 punch ready to go with Langford and Carey whilst Forte will be able to find himself a position on a SB contender like the Patriots, Panthers or Seahawks.

I just really hope he doesn't end up with the Packers or Lions. 

We were talking about this on the Lions forum where everybody is dumb except me.

One guy I normally think is a tool bag said basically the same thing Srar said. I agreed. Then of course you get this one guy that is all...fuck it, I'll quote it...

The point is forget the who they are, just look at what they do. I don't give a frack if the doctor working on my heart likes to cheat, gambles excessively, likes young women and men in Thailand, cheats on his tax's or rips off medicare and insurance companies like the sundance kid: The ONLY thing I am worried about is how good is he at his job and if he is the best I can get then so be it.

the character of the man may be a valid issue for a PC world but it is pointless where the rubber meets the street.

hmm you like JFK? MLK? Broadway joe? Babe ruth? well do I have some knew for you... yeah by todays standards they are all POS, cheating liers, some were drug addicts, some were drunks, some were just nasty people in private.... but we don't seem to worry about that, no we are worried about PM really

I replied, and got mostly the same incoherent response back. I'm not expecting great role models, but I would prefer that they're not fucking disgusting criminals either.

Naturally there was the one "Well back then it was different, it was just hazing...yadda yadda", ya know, that justification that in wrestling/football it's cool to shove your dick in somebodys ass because it's how you break in the new recruits.

Edit - Also sort of reminds me of the thing you guys brought up between TO and Marvin Harrison. TO was brash and cocky, he's universally loathed, Harrison might be a murderer but he was quiet so it's all good. Everybody treated Cam Newton like shit because he is a sore loser, big deal. Now people are defending Manning. I hate NFL fans.

I thought this was common knowledge? I remember hearing about the story a while back, I guess without this pretty damning evidence.

I haven't liked Peyton since and by all accounts he was a typical star college quarterback and entitled dickhead. This won't change anything though, he's still the golden boy of the NFL and gets to ride into the sunset at the top.

Seeing way too many people trying to write it off as "so he did dumb shit in college, so what?"  The act itself, while bad, maybe could be written off as a young kid doing something really stupid if he had actually admitted to it and apologized straight away.  While he would have been punished, I'm sure he and his family would have settled something with Naughright.  And he was still only a sophomore in college..he would have had plenty of time still to demonstrate why he was worthy of being the #1 pick and could have continued to go on to have a legendary career and be known as a guy who made a dumb mistake but turned himself around and went on to become a model citizen while Naughright could have continued to work in the field she loved.

But he didn't do that.  He, his dad, and the school instead decided it needed to be completely covered up to the point where they tried to get Naughright to frame another teammate and they basically ruined her career with blackmail, intimidation, and false claims that absolutely none of Manning's teammates went along with.  And that is so, so much more telling of his character than the initial incident itself.

I'm with Srar.  Athlete sexual assault cases are far too frequent but this one bums me out so much more because Peyton (up until now) was one of the most likable athletes ever and never gave me any reason to not respect him as an athlete and person.  And fuck anybody in the media who had all of these court documents but held them for years and years without releasing them most likely for their own corrupt reasons.

• Like 3