Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

3 minutes ago, MJB said:

So the second one wasn’t a penalty then?

No.

Both shite decisions. Even if that weren't a Liverpool game I would be saying the exact same thing.

Just now, DarylMarrio said:

No.

Both shite decisions. Even if that weren't a Liverpool game I would be saying the exact same thing.

But it was and you are biased.

I hate both Liverpool and Spurs equally :shifty:

Typically they hand over to Harry Kane as I want to hear whether Carragher or Souness thought it was a pen.

3 minutes ago, DarylMarrio said:

No.

Van Dijk tried to kick the ball but Lamela got inbetween them and then Van Dijk kicks through Lamela. It’s a penalty.

1 minute ago, Lineker said:

Seeing as the first penalty was in fact given (rightly or wrongly), should have Karius not been sent off?

I guess the argument I'd have for that not being a red card is that Kane had taken the ball away from the goal.

Just now, therockbox said:

They changed that didn't they? It's not preventing a goalscoring opportunity because that's the penalty. A red + pen was 'too harsh.'

Yeah, basically that as well. It can be a red, but doesn't have to be.

Yeah I think he’s going far enough away that it shouldn’t be a red. 

Im 100% bias, but I defo think the 2nd one is a pen. A little unsure on the rule for the first one so will reserve judgement on that until cleared up.

Amazing game, I’m a mess, a little weirded out Liverpool dropped off so much 2nd half when they were all over is.

Salah is wonderful. 

4 minutes ago, Liam said:

I guess the argument I'd have for that not being a red card is that Kane had taken the ball away from the goal.

Yeah, basically that as well. It can be a red, but doesn't have to be.

I thought that if it was an 'accidental' collision, like when a striker just nicks the ball away from the keeper/defender and goes over, it was never a red card now? Regardless of where the ball is going. It's only a red for stuff like handballs on the line or blatantly dirty/dangerous fouls.

I thought that if it was an 'accidental' collision, like when a striker just nicks the ball away from the keeper/defender and goes over, it was never a red card now? Regardless of where the ball is going. It's only a red for stuff like handballs on the line or blatantly dirty/dangerous fouls.

Yeah, you are probably right. I wasn't sure the exact changing outside of it didn't need to be a red now.

The annoying thing about this is that I genuinely feel, with no horse in this race, that the referees got it spot on. There shouldn't be controversy about what happened; as Dermot Gallagher suggested, it was good communication that got the decisions right as far as I am concerned.

Considering how much stick referees get, it seems a shame that their performance is being questioned in a match where they, by hook or by crook, got the important decisions correct.

What are the rules on offside as well? The referee and linesman seemed to come to the conclusion that because the ball came off Lovren Kane couldn't be offside, but if he's offside when the original pass is played how is that the case? I know there's something in there about an attacker not being able to be offside when the defender deliberately plays the ball but surely that's the cover stuff like misplaced/underhit passes? Lovren technically tried to play the ball but he was trying to clear it, it was a essentially deflection - not someone deliberately playing it.

Then for the second penalty Lamela comes to try and play the ball from an offside position. The whole thing's far too vague.

Edited by therockbox

What are the rules on offside as well? The referee and linesman seemed to come to the conclusion that because the ball came off Lovren Kane couldn't be offside, but if he's offside when the original pass is played how is that the case? I know there's something in there about an attacker not being able to be offside when the defender deliberately plays the ball but surely that's the cover stuff like misplaced/underhit passes? Lovren technically tried to play the ball but he was trying to clear it, it was a essentially deflection - not someone deliberately playing it.

I personally think it shoud be offside, he’s only playing it cos Harry’s in that position. But I don’t think that’s the rule, so I guess that’s that?

Pray for Lamela. His poor calf got obliterated by Van Dijk pulling out of a tackle. If anything he should be holding his back 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I personally think it shoud be offside, he’s only playing it cos Harry’s in that position. But I don’t think that’s the rule, so I guess that’s that?

Well the rule is, as far as I can remember, the attacker can't be offside from a defender deliberately playing the ball.

I wouldn't say that was the case here. Salah can't be offside for his first because Dier has fucked up his pass. Kane should be offside because the ball has deflected off Lovren but was played by a Spurs player - at least that's how I'd read it.

Edit: And if the rule is that a defender touching the ball in any way, shape or form constitutes a 'second phase of play' or whatever I'd say that's completely ridiculous. The minute that pass is played by the Spurs player Kane is offside, so the flag should go up. Lovren should be able to dive on the ball with two hands at that point and not be penalised.

Edited by therockbox