Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

18 hours ago, MadJack said:

I would be ok with that. Either get rid of the League Cup or just have it for teams in the Football League.

This is an idea that has been floated around for years that makes all the sense in the world but would understandably cause some outrage. It's only France that also has two domestic cups, isn't it? I think combining the FA Cup and League Cup would be the ideal solution - with increased prize money per round, perhaps Premier League sides coming into it a bit later to let the lower leagues advance deeper, and maybe a Champions League place for the winner. That would go a long way to easing fixture congestion, which is a real problem no matter how people try to spin it, especially in January.

Just me thinking aloud, but now Arsenal seem to have a new chief scout, new chief transfer/contract negotiator and a "director of foootball" in place. Now is the perfect time for us to approach Joachim Low about taking over from Wenger.

People have said previously that he would be risky as he has been out of club management for so long, well now we have the people in place above the manager, he seems perfectly. He's tactically sound and he's won the World Cup. Please Arsenal, go for it.

TV rights. Ticket sales. I don't think you realise how much a league cup draw against, I dunno, Everton benefits a league 2 club. 

But no, fuck the thousands of Fleetwood Town and Colchester United fans, your precious multi millionaires need a rest.

• Like 5

I can't even quite fathom the logic of dropping it anyway, from a financial point of view it's dropped money (granted small fry compared to Champions League games but it's still income), from a squad point of view even Newcastle play the reserves and we're shit to start with, and from a fans point of view it's a great little competition to go and watch for a fraction of the price. 

Newport made £700,000 from the two games against Spurs, 1 3rd of their usual turnover. 

I'm sure Bristol City loved their run in the League Cup. 

I'm not in for dropping either, even for Prem Clubs, as Colly was saying, it's nice to get a cheap ticket and to see fringe players. I was there last night to see Lamela score (and definitely point at me as he scored cos he loves me back) and two of my friends came to Wembley for the first time cos of the price. Kinda got side-tracked as to what point I was making, but I wouldn't want either dropped. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Newport made £700,000 from the two games against Spurs, 1 3rd of their usual turnover. 

I'm sure Bristol City loved their run in the League Cup. 

I'm not in for dropping either, even for Prem Clubs, as Colly was saying, it's nice to get a cheap ticket and to see fringe players. I was there last night to see Lamela score (and definitely point at me as he scored cos he loves me back) and two of my friends came to Wembley for the first time cos of the price. Kinda got side-tracked as to what point I was making, but I wouldn't want either dropped. 

He was pointing at his dealer cos he needed another 8 ball.

• Like 2