Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

7 hours ago, therockbox said:

It's a shame he can't do that every week, there's an excellent midfielder in Shelvey somewhere. He'd have benefited from playing under Benitez when he was 19/20, I think.

He is baffling. In the same game he can range from world class to dog shit. It's like someone is rolling dice to determine the outcome of every move.

So I had been wanting to get more into football for a while. I found a subreddit that posts the games, so I decided that I would just pick a team and start watching. 

I picked Liverpool since I have two buddies I worked at summer camp with who live there, and I visited there on a business trip last year. First of all, I had no idea I was jumping onto a team that has been so successful, so I feel like I've bandwagon-ed just a little bit. Nevertheless, I feel like I jumped in and started watching during a really exciting time.

My first game was the Manchester United game. So that was pretty fun. Super exciting. Then they lost to Swansea and West Brom. But at this point, after the Manchester United game, I was feeling pretty invested in these guys. I mean, how can you not like Mo Salah. So they bounce back with the Huddersfield win.

And then there was the Tottenham game. Holy crap. When Salah scored near the end, I literally screamed and woke up my dog. Then van Dijk gets that fucking penalty. The penalty shots in this game. Oh my god.

Just finished today's game against South Hampton Southampton. Nice little win, they played well. 

This is fun you guys. 

10 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Listen, I'm new to this. 

Sorry, but I actually laughed out loud and woke the dog.

And if you are going to follow Liverpool prepare yourself for banter. Don't take it personally.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I picked Liverpool since I have two buddies I worked at summer camp with who live there, and I visited there on a business trip last year. First of all, I had no idea I was jumping onto a team that has been so successful, so I feel like I've bandwagon-ed just a little bit. Nevertheless, I feel like I jumped in and started watching during a really exciting time.

Don't worry, Liverpool haven't had any real success in several years so everyone but their own fans consider them to be underachieving also-rans living off past glories. Also, we can't be friends anymore now you're a Liverpool fan due to my allegiance to their city rivals Everton -_-.

In all seriousness though, you've picked a good team to go with really because they're entertaining, they always compete at the top end of the league and in all the cup competitions and we have a good number of Liverpool fans on EWB, certainly among the most supported clubs on here along with Spurs. Good luck and enjoy getting more into the greatest sport in the world!

12 minutes ago, MDK said:

Sorry, but I actually laughed out loud and woke the dog.

And if you are going to follow Liverpool prepare yourself for banter. Don't take it personally.

Although to be a true Liverpool fan you have to take every slight joke very personally :P.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Los IngobernAdam de Japon said:

Don't worry, Liverpool haven't had any real success in several years so everyone but their own fans consider them to be underachieving also-rans living off past glories. Also, we can't be friends anymore now you're a Liverpool fan due to my allegiance to their city rivals Everton -_-.

Although to be a true Liverpool fan you have to take every slight joke very personally :P.

Wow Adam, how rude. My mother was killed living off her past glories!

Liverpool is the best choice to support of the big teams.

City win things but their fans seem to be still kinda stuck in when they were bad 

United are, like their manager, not what they were a decade ago. Nobody seems very happy

In 1996 arsenal hired a manager whose first name is very similar to the club name. Now they are so intertwined it might as well just be his club. And nobody is happy

spurs historically aren't a force. They're going through a good spell lately but their best chance of winning a title ended with them finishing 3rd and letting Leicester win the whole thing. Fans seem okay with how things are going but if im right it's been a long time since spurs actually won a trophy and I do often wonder how long they can sustain finishing in the top 4 and winning nothing.

Chelsea seems a bit of a mess at times and have cash to paper over cracks before burning through another manager. 

With Liverpool, yes there's history. Bags of it. Not won anything in a while but it's kinda forgotten that the club was close to administration less than a decade ago. It's been a bit of a slow crawl back from there. The club is never that far away from doing something special. I can't see supporting any other team in the premier league as being nearly as fun. 

Plus certain posters on ewb have a real stick in their butt about Liverpool 😋

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MDK said:

She could have picked Burnley 

Burnley makes the most sense though since they have the only Canadian player in the league as far as I am aware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Burnley makes the most sense though since they have the only Canadian player in the league as far as I am aware.

Sometimes I wish I picked a different team. Could have been Arsenal or Spurs, even Palace but no... Orient had a 20 quid season ticket offer.

Two things in life you can't change; your mum or your team.

Of course, if you did pick a team on the basis of X player being there (whether on account of their nationality or whatever)...you can guarantee that they'll leave the club within 12 months. Then what would you be left with? Burnley.

• Like 1