Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

2 hours ago, Los IngobernAdam de Japon said:

I'm always wary of stats like that. What defines a chance as a 'big' one compared to one that is not so big, and therefore not counted on that list. Stats with subjectivity in them like that don't have credence for me.

See also "aerial duels won". And how the fuck do they measure a "sprint"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colly said:

See also "aerial duels won". And how the fuck do they measure a "sprint"?

Whether the player held down R2 or not?

Seriously though, I agree. I feel like the explosion of stats in the game has led to people wanting to find a quantifiable aspect to every little part of the game. Not what it's all about for me. This "Expected Goals" stuff does nothing either in my opinion.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DarylMarrio said:

Well considering only 6 players in the history of the Prem have only scored 15 goals or more with their left foot, and generally looking back a lot of left footed players have always still scored via their head or right foot it  is kind of impressive in terms of just how he is scoring in just one way.

To just go "He's left footed though..." when looking at past predominately left footed players and then comparing them it's interesting. 

86.4% of his goals have been via his left foot. The only two that come close to that is Bale in 12/13 and then Fowler in 94/95 with 76.2% and 76%

So what you're saying that he's very reliant on his left foot rather than being an all round finisher like Kane or Aguero?

Surely part of it is the fact he's a wide player rather than a centre forward? I know that's been a movable feast since the early days of Robben and Ronaldo, but looking at the names above you've got Robbie Fowler (a left footed striker) and Bale who is excellent in the air. Most of Salah's he's running into the box with the ball and has the ability to make his chance on his favoured foot. 

Edit: shurrup rockbox. 

Obviously, but there's no context there whatsoever. Not all "duels" are 50/50, and is it just ones where they've both jumped or does it include losing your man? They just throw stats out with no methodology and expect us to just accept them. Danny Simpson. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Ryan Mason’s retired.

:( shite news 

Hopefully he can be successful and enjoy whatever he does post football and live a happy healthy life. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Ryan Mason’s retired.

Not that it really matters as it is a shame that someone so young has retired through injury, but I wonder what happens to the contract/team in situations like this? I'm guessing there is insurance, but you have a club record signing of £13mil, however much in wages, and the guy is done within six months - that's a lot of money pissed away on an admittedly freak accident.

8 minutes ago, Liam said:

Not that it really matters as it is a shame that someone so young has retired through injury, but I wonder what happens to the contract/team in situations like this? I'm guessing there is insurance, but you have a club record signing of £13mil, however much in wages, and the guy is done within six months - that's a lot of money pissed away on an admittedly freak accident.

I imagine he'll continue to earn a salary until the end of his contract if it's got guarantees in it. They've both signed the contract and unless there is anything to stipulate in case of injury or anything then it's a matter of they've made a legally binding agreement.  

I think it may be different say he got injured on international duty. I'm sure Newcastle got compo when Owen got seriously injured. 

Other than that I imagine from a clubs financial perspective it's a case of tough luck. You've made the investment in a game where injuries can happen or players don't live up to their potential etc. Just one of them really. 

1 minute ago, DarylMarrio said:

I imagine he'll continue to earn a salary until the end of his contract if it's got guarantees in it. They've both signed the contract and unless there is anything to stipulate in case of injury or anything then it's a matter of they've made a legally binding agreement.  

I think it may be different say he got injured on international duty. I'm sure Newcastle got compo when Owen got seriously injured. 

Yeah, I guess he will, but I'm wondering whether the club get some insurance/assistance to pay a contract that is effectively useless.  To what extent are the players 'objects' that are owned by the club and necessitate recompense if they are 'broken'?

2 minutes ago, Liam said:

Yeah, I guess he will, but I'm wondering whether the club get some insurance/assistance to pay a contract that is effectively useless.  To what extent are the players 'objects' that are owned by the club and necessitate recompense if they are 'broken'?

He might carry on as a coach or ambassador or something.

3 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Players all the way down to the amatuer level have insurance - since the introduction of the National Game Insurance Scheme in 2013 - but professional clubs have had insurance for much longer.

Does that cover costs incurred during long injury layoffs/retirements?