Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

20 minutes ago, DarylMarrio said:

Pray for Lamela. His poor calf got obliterated by Van Dijk pulling out of a tackle. If anything he should be holding his back 

He didn't pull out though. He kicked the back of his calf. You can find an angle, a slow motion shot, or something else for most things to make them look not so bad. In multiple angles, at full speed, he kicked him in the leg rather than kicking the ball. Its a foul anywhere else on the pitch; it pretty much has to be a penalty.

I know that the quality of analysis/commentary/punditry can be fairly dire, but when all of the people involved in delivering the game, and the official that they use for analysis, all agree it was a pen...

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Liam said:

He didn't pull out though. He kicked the back of his calf. You can find an angle, a slow motion shot, or something else for most things to make them look not so bad. In multiple angles, at full speed, he kicked him in the leg rather than kicking the ball. Its a foul anywhere else on the pitch; it pretty much has to be a penalty.

I know that the quality of analysis/commentary/punditry can be fairly dire, but when all of the people involved in delivering the game, and the official that they use for analysis, all agree it was a pen...

Yeah but he didn't. Literally at no point at all does his foot touch Lamela. His knee goes into his back and that's the only contact there is. He also makes no attempt to actually win the ball - he literally just jumps into Van Dijk as you can see here.

Not to mention that he "challenges for the ball" from an offside position.

1 minute ago, Nerf said:

Yeah but he didn't. Literally at no point at all does his foot touch Lamela. His knee goes into his back and that's the only contact there is. He also makes no attempt to actually win the ball - he literally just jumps into Van Dijk as you can see here.

Not to mention that he "challenges for the ball" from an offside position.

...his foot hits his calf. Swipes across the back of it.

Also, the offside is a fair call, but considering it was minimal, I'm really not surprised it was missed and I would advocate a game that aims to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

1 minute ago, Liam said:

...his foot hits his calf. Swipes across the back of it.

Also, the offside is a fair call, but considering it was minimal, I'm really not surprised it was missed and I would advocate a game that aims to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

Genuinely don't think it touches his calf and he just pulls out of the challenge. But if I'm wrong and he does, then it's still minimal, and Lamela actually has to be in control of the ball for that to be anything other than a 50/50 duel, surely?

1 minute ago, Nerf said:

Genuinely don't think it touches his calf and he just pulls out of the challenge. But if I'm wrong and he does, then it's still minimal, and Lamela actually has to be in control of the ball for that to be anything other than a 50/50 duel, surely?

The way I see it us that he moves into a position to shield the ball in order to shoot/pass/cross/whatever and he gets kicked. Whilst I get the argument of perhaps it is clearer if he has the ball under control or makes a clear play for the ball, I also feel the argument could then be made he was stopped in going for the ball due to getting kicked. 

I look at that and I see a very clear attempt by VVD to avoid making any contact.  Lamela's momentum carries him into VVD and contact is minimal. Lamela goes down because that's what you do when you're a professional footballer, whether we like it or not.

I don't think that penalty is given if Kane had scored the first one. Because you see it a lot that referees often do something in a context. If it's Liverpool 2 - 2 Tottenham on 93, I don't think Jon Moss gives that.

2 minutes ago, Hobo said:

I look at that and I see a very clear attempt by VVD to avoid making any contact.  Lamela's momentum carries him into VVD and contact is minimal. Lamela goes down because that's what you do when you're a professional footballer, whether we like it or not.

I don't think that penalty is given if Kane had scored the first one. Because you see it a lot that referees often do something in a context. If it's Liverpool 2 - 2 Tottenham on 93, I don't think Jon Moss gives that.

He pulls away after he makes contact though. He was unsighted so I really don't think he was in a situation to pull out of the kick.

That first tweet @Jimmy posts is particularly damning.

Second one is a penalty, Lamela gets between Van Dijk and ball and is kicked/kneed. It's unlucky for Lamela as he doesn't see him coming, but that's irrelevant, as is how much control Lamela has of the ball. 

First one though I'm with Rockbox and clearly don't understand what the current offside rule is. Lovren clearly doesn't deliberately play the ball to Kane, and Kane is offside when the ball is played. At first I thought the controversy was over whether Kane touches it before being taken down or not, since I believe he isn't offside until he touches it these days? Which is utterly ridiculous since you're clearly interfering with play if you've won a penalty. Not that that happened since he did touch it. The rule is fucked and it was better ten years ago where refs properly applied 'interfering with play'. 

I know body language isn't an exact science, but when a defender puts his hands up to proclaim innocence immediately then starts wagging his finger at the referee before the attacker hits the floor, it's because they've done worth trying to hide.

Jemaine Jenas just summed up that offside for me, the law is farcical. Lovren shouldn't have to play the ball there, Kane is influencing play by being in an offside position. 

Also, MOTD2 just showed that the ref just guessed as he didn't see Lovren touch the ball. 

Also, what the fuck is Lawro wearing. 

16 minutes ago, Colly said:

Also, MOTD2 just showed that the ref just guessed as he didn't see Lovren touch the ball. 

That was obvious watching on Sky just from the little snippets you could hear, he had no clue. Moss is an awful referee anyway but that's just ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Nerf said:

Mate, you need to get your eyes checked if you can’t see VVD kicking the lad in the calf. My gran could see that and she’s been dead 8 years

• Like 4
  • Haha 1