The Emirates FA Cup 2018/19

Lineker

I've only just realised how few PL sides are left.

Man Utd, Man City, Watford, Palace/Spurs, probably Chelsea. Brighton and Wolves taken to replays and that's it.

We have never made the Quarter Finals. If the draw drops nicely for us on Monday, it could be a genuine prospect.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Adam said:

I've only just realised how few PL sides are left.

Man Utd, Man City, Watford, Palace/Spurs, probably Chelsea. Brighton and Wolves taken to replays and that's it.

We have never made the Quarter Finals. If the draw drops nicely for us on Monday, it could be a genuine prospect.

I think Round 5 is where fans of the lower league teams stop wanting a "big" draw as much and fancy whichever team that will give them the best chance to advance further, and that's how it should be.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MDK said:

They did have VAR. Well, a big screen in the stadium.

Two Everton players were booked for pointing that out to the referee as well. 

I do often wonder at what point a referee knows they've made a big mistake, I mean that one was pretty obvious by the fact the goal scorer kept double checking he wasn't giving a free kick while celebrating, then you've got how berserk Everton went, then you've got it shown on the big screen for further evidence and THEN you've got the Millwall coaching staff shouting at the big screen operator to get it off said big screen right in front of the fourth official.

I think the yellow cards were the equivalent of someone making an embarrassing faux pas in the street, swearing loudly to cause a distraction and scurrying off to hide round the corner in the hope it'll blow over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lanky316 said:

I do often wonder at what point a referee knows they've made a big mistake, I mean that one was pretty obvious by the fact the goal scorer kept double checking he wasn't giving a free kick while celebrating, then you've got how berserk Everton went, then you've got it shown on the big screen for further evidence and THEN you've got the Millwall coaching staff shouting at the big screen operator to get it off said big screen right in front of the fourth official.

I think the yellow cards were the equivalent of someone making an embarrassing faux pas in the street, swearing loudly to cause a distraction and scurrying off to hide round the corner in the hope it'll blow over. 

As much as I think it is stupid the ref is the one who decides. Even if he can see it on the big screen I don't think he can change his decision, can he? Also would be brave of him to do it at Millwall...

Players are booked (although obviously not always) not for being wrong but for challenging the referees decisions. He's the authority there. Obviously if the game's laws were followed 100% no match would end 11vs11. Each team's captain has the right to clarify some things up with the ref (in a polite way). If dissent rules were actually enforced we'd have so many players sent off it wouldn't even be funny but the truth is, the referee is right when he books them and wrong when he decides to look the other way and pretend nothing's happening. Maybe the rule could be tweaked a bit but as it stands booking them was the correct decision.

Edited by Malenko

The referee can change his decision which is partially the point of VAR in principal "we accept you're human and make mistakes so here's something to help you fix that". The most common example before VAR would be when the referee gives a goal, gets a message from an assistant and he points out there was a trip or shirt pulling or whatever and so he now disallows the goal and gives a free kick. In the past we've had messages passed on via the fourth official leading to a referee going back and taking action on something but I think that's more down to things he may have missed rather than "you've done fucked up badly there mate". I  can't think of any examples of the fourth official giving a penalty or whatever, I know the ones behind the goal in the Europa League would give things. Usually controversial moments aren't shown on the big screen though and last night is the reason why as it just highlights to everyone the mistake that's been made. In all likelihood the match day director hadn't noticed the handball and showed it as normal and that just made Everton angrier as it was instant rather than a postgame "I've been able to look at the incident again and it should never have stood" managers comment reaction.

RAW it's a booking for dissent but there could've been a lot more and Everton should have been playing the rest of the game without a manager or coaching staff as they went mental as well. He bottled a big decision and didn't know what to do about it so tried to to stamp his authority with token yellow cards. It's interesting because it wasn't actually a hard game to referee (not that refereeing in itself is easy) with many big decisions to make in the heat of the moment, he just got the one horribly wrong and didn't get the help he needed.  Normal refereeing procedure would be to even things up by giving Everton a soft penalty or sending off a Millwall player to make up for the mistake but Everton didn't really do anything with the IOU.

3 hours ago, lanky316 said:

A lot of the time they don't even realise until well after the game. Graham Poll writes in his autobiography that he and his team thought they'd done a good job during Croatia vs Australia - the match where he gave three yellows to a player, only realising something was wrong when a former colleague texted him after the game.