Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

4 minutes ago, Naitch said:

I will admit that Barthez may be my rose-tinted glasses talking as his tenure at Man Utd coincides with my earliest memories of football.

He was a keeper ahead of his time - imagine Barthez in current football, he'd be fetching 100 million with ease.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Mad Jack Frost said:

Also Joe Hart has always been overrated.

Four time EPL Golden Glove winner, but sure. Overrated.

How I think I would put this list out, because why the fuck not, goalkeepers is probably way easier to list than any other position due to its singularity in play:

1. P. Schmeichel (Ha, almost got the spelling right on the first try)
  2. Petr Cech
  3. Edwin van der Sar
  4. David de Gea
  5. Joe Hart
  6. David Seaman
  7. David James
  8. Ederson
  9. Pepe Reina
  10. Thibaut Courtois

The Reina one might be a bit too much of fanboyism, I'll admit, but :wub: The Courtois choice might also be a bit too much since he was there when they placed 10th, right?

Honorable mentions: Jens Lehmann, Shay Given, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Tim Flowers, Carlo Cudicini, Mark Schwarzer

Was actually pretty hard to make, even with the two guys' lists as an assist. 

21 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Four time EPL Golden Glove winner, but sure. Overrated.

Again though, an award based solely on number of clean sheets (that I actually had no idea existed until now). It's not a measure of best keeper by any means, and obviously you can make the argument "the best keepers are at the best teams" but differences in playing style and quality of defence (even among the top sides, compare Mourinho's Chelsea to Wenger's Arsenal) make a huge impact on number of clean sheets.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

The Courtois choice might also be a bit too much since he was there when they placed 10th, right?

He was our keeper in 4 seasons: Jose title win, 10th place, Conte title win, 5th place.

While it's difficult enough to explain such ridiculous inconsistency for the team, let alone just the goalkeeper, he certainly wouldn't be in my top 10.

Given and Friedel should definetly be on the list.

I'd argue Reina could be as well given his record at the time was immense and he was always fighting it out for Golden Glove with Cech. But clean sheets is a weird argument as you can argue a keeper of a big club should have a high amount of clean sheets. It's different levels of in theory having less to do and therefore needing to be alert for when you are needed compared to a keeper of a "smaller" team in which they are more active. 

Ederson/Alisson shouldn't be on the list yet...could easily argue it down the line but it's too early for both of them. 

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Amazing:

They should probably have made it a little more inconspicuous if you're gonna break lockdown. 

40 minutes ago, Colly said:

Again though, an award based solely on number of clean sheets (that I actually had no idea existed until now). It's not a measure of best keeper by any means, and obviously you can make the argument "the best keepers are at the best teams" but differences in playing style and quality of defence (even among the top sides, compare Mourinho's Chelsea to Wenger's Arsenal) make a huge impact on number of clean sheets.

It's not exactly a meaningless measure, a keeper's job is to keep the ball out of his net for 90 minutes. 

Joe Hart also had that really good season at Birmingham before he went to Man City to replace Shay Given.

46 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

He was our keeper in 4 seasons: Jose title win, 10th place, Conte title win, 5th place.

While it's difficult enough to explain such ridiculous inconsistency for the team, let alone just the goalkeeper, he certainly wouldn't be in my top 10.

Yeah, I just remember him being really, really impressive during his stint in Chelsea. Probably should have put Lehmann or Given over him, but eh, I just like him so much.

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Tottenham are bossing the Coronavirus era.

I don't know what's more surprising here. Mourinho accepting responsibility instead of blaming Ndombele, or that he actually wanted to spend time with his least favorite footballer ever

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

I don't know what's more surprising here. Mourinho accepting responsibility instead of blaming Ndombele, or that he actually wanted to spend time with his least favorite footballer ever

Defo a love/hate relationship. Sitcom material all over it. 

7 hours ago, Colly said:

I don't think you can base a keepers ability on final league position though, that Man City side was quality from front to back. Given at times single handedly kept Newcastle in European (including Champions League) spots behind some of the worst defenses ever to grace the top half of the Premier League. I know your point isn't quite as straightforward as that, but across the length of his career I'd have Given over Hart. And I'd have David James too.

I think Brad Friedel is at least in the discussion too, so consistent over a very long time.

The lack of Friedel annoyed me. Maybe 9th or 10th, my bias isn't that bad but for me should have been on the list.