The Emirates FA Cup 2019/20

Lineker

10 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

Newcastle don’t have to play 6+ European games, possibly in the arsehole end of nowhere either? On top of that, the majority of their players aren’t starting for national teams that go deep in tournaments.

Its not a comparison what European teams have to go through, and then to say ‘stockpile extra players’ is the way forward is just short sighted.

Short sighted? It's been reality for about 20 years.

Hell, it's only about 8 years since we were doing it and we made it to the quarter finals with a heavily weakened side.

Edited by Colly
  • Like 1

The pearl clutching about the sanctity of the cup is a little bit precious, and only serves to distract from the authorities refusing to address the wealth gap in the football pyramid so they can line their own pockets. All your vitriol is pointed in the wrong direction, for me.

I don't really see where the outrage comes from. It can't be playing the kids, particularly when you have Championship sides heavily rotating.

Klopp has already explained his reason for not being there -- Critch works with these players every day and knows infinitely more about them than he does. It was a decision to set the youngsters up for familiarity and, therefore, success. I don't know why people are obtusely interpreting that as he "can't be arsed." But it's telling that literally none of you were arsed when Big Sam did exactly the same thing for a Europa League tie. Or is respect only to be extended to the domestic game?

It's hard to muster 'respect' for competitions that the organisers themselves can barely pretend to respect. Liverpool have been fined more in the League Cup this season than they would have earned had they won the whole fucking thing. It's quite literally cost them money to participate in the cup. Top club privilege and all that, but where's the incentive for them to take it seriously? Seems unwise if your whole structure relies on big clubs giving a shit.

Where was the respect for the cup when the EFL decided it was totally plausible to play two games on two different continents in 24 hours? Or when the FA blocked televised coverage, despite interest from providers, for no discernible reason other than spite?

Seen a lot of people say Liverpool fans would be outraged had it been someone else. I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't give two shits if Pep had done the same thing. Primarily because he, like Klopp, has been outspoken for years about fixture congestion in this country. No matter how much they bang their heads against the wall, their concerns aren't taken seriously. This presented an opportunity to actually practice what they've been preaching. Klopp's using his platform to force change for the sake of his players, not because he thinks Shrewsbury is "beneath him."

The fact is that football has evolved, for better or worse, and the domestic competitions in this country have failed to evolve with it. That's a failure of the authorities, and the longstanding issue of wealth distribution in English football plays a massive role in that. I understand that the magic of the cup is still there for lower league teams, and I understand how important it still is for those teams. That importance is primarily financially motivated. Rather than be enraged that the manager of a football club is doing what he thinks is best for the good of his team, be enraged that the powers that be have enabled a system that forces grassroots football to rely on whatever scraps get thrown their way.

Anyway, I read something about Shrewsbury making more money from the gate despite lowered ticket prices because of a bigger turnout than usual, so that's nice if true.

• Like 1

I think we should all commend Steve Bruce for reinvigorating the magic of the cup by giving lower league opposition as much extra football as he can.

• Haha 1

I think you've been Onioned there.

“It’s not right,” Steve Bruce told Soccer on Sunday. “The FA guidelines on penis management are crystal clear. If fans can’t be trusted to handle their willies responsibly, then they have no place in football.”

“And that goes double for their willies,” added the former defender.

“Yes,” replied Bruce, when asked if the waggling incident has sullied Newcastle’s win. “We should be sitting here talking about Allan’s wonder goal, but instead we’re focused on one idiot’s meat thermometer. It’s disappointing.”

9 hours ago, Nerf said:

The pearl clutching about the sanctity of the cup is a little bit precious, and only serves to distract from the authorities refusing to address the wealth gap in the football pyramid so they can line their own pockets. All your vitriol is pointed in the wrong direction, for me.

I don't really see where the outrage comes from. It can't be playing the kids, particularly when you have Championship sides heavily rotating.

Klopp has already explained his reason for not being there -- Critch works with these players every day and knows infinitely more about them than he does. It was a decision to set the youngsters up for familiarity and, therefore, success. I don't know why people are obtusely interpreting that as he "can't be arsed." But it's telling that literally none of you were arsed when Big Sam did exactly the same thing for a Europa League tie. Or is respect only to be extended to the domestic game?

It's hard to muster 'respect' for competitions that the organisers themselves can barely pretend to respect. Liverpool have been fined more in the League Cup this season than they would have earned had they won the whole fucking thing. It's quite literally cost them money to participate in the cup. Top club privilege and all that, but where's the incentive for them to take it seriously? Seems unwise if your whole structure relies on big clubs giving a shit.

Where was the respect for the cup when the EFL decided it was totally plausible to play two games on two different continents in 24 hours? Or when the FA blocked televised coverage, despite interest from providers, for no discernible reason other than spite?

Seen a lot of people say Liverpool fans would be outraged had it been someone else. I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't give two shits if Pep had done the same thing. Primarily because he, like Klopp, has been outspoken for years about fixture congestion in this country. No matter how much they bang their heads against the wall, their concerns aren't taken seriously. This presented an opportunity to actually practice what they've been preaching. Klopp's using his platform to force change for the sake of his players, not because he thinks Shrewsbury is "beneath him."

The fact is that football has evolved, for better or worse, and the domestic competitions in this country have failed to evolve with it. That's a failure of the authorities, and the longstanding issue of wealth distribution in English football plays a massive role in that. I understand that the magic of the cup is still there for lower league teams, and I understand how important it still is for those teams. That importance is primarily financially motivated. Rather than be enraged that the manager of a football club is doing what he thinks is best for the good of his team, be enraged that the powers that be have enabled a system that forces grassroots football to rely on whatever scraps get thrown their way.

Anyway, I read something about Shrewsbury making more money from the gate despite lowered ticket prices because of a bigger turnout than usual, so that's nice if true.

With this sentence, I feel like you don't get it. 

The fans of a lower league side aren't getting excited about the financial incentive. 

They're getting excited about a potentially once in a life time cup tie. They're getting excited about the possibility of beating Liverpool, about seeing the players they watch week-in-week-out go toe-to-toe with the Champions of Europe, or another big side. 

• Like 6

For a lower league fan it's about going to a big stadium and the chance of a giant killing, for a Premier League fan it's the chance of getting to Wembley, as a football fan I can't even grasp the concept of not being excited about the business end of the FA Cup.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Jimmy said:

With this sentence, I feel like you don't get it. 

The fans of a lower league side aren't getting excited about the financial incentive. 

They're getting excited about a potentially once in a life time cup tie. They're getting excited about the possibility of beating Liverpool, about seeing the players they watch week-in-week-out go toe-to-toe with the Champions of Europe, or another big side.

Hi, you highlighted the second half of a sentence. The first half of said sentence literally addresses that. You can't pretend I didn't make that point and then criticise the fact that I didn't make that point.

5 hours ago, Colly said:

If it helps I disagree with the first half of the sentence too. The magic of the cup is still there for far more than fans of lower league teams.

When you have Championship teams making wholesale changes to rest players for league matches, I don't think anyone with a straight face can suggest the magic of the FA Cup is anywhere close to what it was.

On 07/02/2020 at 08:23, Nerf said:

Hi, you highlighted the second half of a sentence. The first half of said sentence literally addresses that. You can't pretend I didn't make that point and then criticise the fact that I didn't make that point.

Hi pal, you literally said the importance is primarily financially motivated.

I was pointing out I don't think that is what the fans would identify as the primary importance.

I don't think that's unfair? 

• Like 9

On 08/02/2020 at 11:40, Jimmy said:

Hi pal, you literally said the importance is primarily financially motivated.

I was pointing out I don't think that is what the fans would identify as the primary importance.

I don't think that's unfair? 

No mate, two separate points. I thought the separation by the word "and" was obvious enough. Guess not.

• 4 weeks later...

Really like the look of our attack tonight. Looks like Nelson and Martinelli on the flanks with Willock in the number 10 role with Nketiah up front. 

Plus a debut for Mari at the back. Intrigued to see how he gets on as I'm fairly positive he'll be signed permanently in the summer and there's every possibility that we'll be starting William Saliba alongside him next season.

Portsmouth have Arsenal at home with the chance of making the QF. Arsenal were always going to make changes (9 in total from the last league game) yet Pompey's 2 top scorers are on the bench to focus on the League 1 game at the weekend.

48 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Portsmouth have Arsenal at home with the chance of making the QF. Arsenal were always going to make changes (9 in total from the last league game) yet Pompey's 2 top scorers are on the bench to focus on the League 1 game at the weekend.

Portsmouth rotate their strikers quite frequently to be honest, Marquis and Harrison are often swapped and don't start together usually.

35 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Well, some Pompey player has completely taken Torriera out of the game.

Proper tackle, definitely right not to give a foul in my opinion. Unfortunate the way the contact is has injured Torreira, but it's a fair challenge to me.

And there's the goal.

Great finish but its been slow and lethargic build up so far. Haven't really been tested but I would hope to see Arsenal just come out and batter them 2nd half to be comfortable.

Also fuck Mike Dean. Booking Guendouzi for sarcasm ffs.