Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

• Admin

Alex Scott has been named as the new host of the BBC’s Football Focus, becoming the show’s first permanent female host in its 47-year history. The former Arsenal and England full-back will take over from Dan Walker, who is stepping down after 12 years at the helm.

The 36-year-old made more than 200 club appearances during her playing career, earned 140 caps for her country and represented Great Britain at the 2012 London Olympics.

Announcing the appointment in a column for BBC Sport, she wrote: “When I was a kid, I would never have watched television and thought someone like me could be presenting a programme like Football Focus. For the BBC to trust me with this role and allow me to be my true, authentic self means a lot.”

Scott said she had received “amazing messages” from friends, fans and the Arsenal goalkeeper and Focus presenter Bob Wilson. Walker’s last show will be at end of the season, on 22 May, with Scott taking over in August.

“From day one, Dan Walker has guided me – and crucially he let me ask questions,” she said. “Dan knew I wanted to be a presenter so he helped hone my skills and allowed me to step out of my ‘pundit’ comfort zone on the show. In fact, everyone around me – from Gabby Logan to Mark Chapman – and so many people behind the scenes have helped me to get to this point. It will never be lost on me that these kind, amazing people within the industry have supported and encouraged me to be the best I can be.”

Scott has become a familiar face on TV since she retired from playing in 2018. In 2019, she took part in Strictly Come Dancing and she has also hosted BBC’s The One Show. She said that since the start of her broadcasting career she had wanted to “transcend from being labelled a ‘female pundit’ to ‘pundit’”.

• Admin

A report will be passed to the Football Association after an incident involving Dwight McNeil and Ezgjan Alioski in Burnley’s 4-0 defeat to Leeds on Saturday.

It came with a little over 20 minutes remaining of the match with Leeds 2-0 to the good, when McNeil appeared to say something in the ear of Alioski after he had gone down under a challenge near the touchline.

The Leeds player then got to his feet and responding by covering his ears and sticking out his tongue as both benches got involved in an argument.

Referee Graham Scott then called over managers Sean Dyche and Marcelo Bielsa, plus captains Ben Mee and Luke Ayling, before play resumed.

“A report has come into the referee and that will be passed on to the FA,” Dyche said in his post-match press conference, but he did not say which player was involved. “One of our players made the report and I was there to be a witness to the report, not the incident. “The report has been made with the referee and that’s where it will stay for now.”

Asked if there was a racial element to the complaint, Dyche declined to comment further and the FA said it would await the report before commenting.

Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa said he had not seen the reaction of his player. “I didn’t see that there was an incident between the two,” he said. “If there was a gesture I didn’t see it. I saw there was a dispute but I didn’t think it was too different to what usually happens within a game.”

Dyche withdrew McNeil moments later as he was replaced by Johann Berg Gudmundsson, though the Burnley manager said the decision was unrelated. “I was going to take Dwight off,” he said. “He’s put in a lot of effort this season and done very well over this season. This was the first time he’s looked a bit jaded. I was nearly going to leave him out before the game, he’s put a big shift in this season.”

Leeds had turned on the style in the second half as they swept to a 4-0 win to strengthen their grip on a top-half place in the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Go on West Brom <_< 

Cant believe you want Chelsea to get Champions League football. Shame on you

Heard you've got a tattoo of Frank Leboeuf's face on your back 

I just knew we'd fuck up today against Big Sam of all people. I just can't stand him the big gungan looking gravy drinking prick

• Haha 3

Of course we’ll get a billion chances and not manage to score more than one against fucking West Brom, but we’ll put four past Man Utd 🤦‍♂️

Bobby hitting the post again to signal another 15 game drought, no doubt 😒