Premier League 2021/22

Lineker

My sympathies for Newcastle in that match disappeared after the constant food poverty bantz

Shelvey did his usual score against us and gift us a goal routine he does everytime he plays against us. 

Trent's goal was a cracker. Thought we comfortably dominated but not at our best at times. From where I was sat couldn't tell if it was hard lines or not for the first goal, looked like just a coming together then trying to claim a head injury but I was in the sky seats

Also what is it with the BBC basically saying it's a two horse title race now because Chelsea drew. They're four points off top and three behind us...that's nothing. 

Dopes

4 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

My sympathies for Newcastle in that match disappeared after the constant food poverty bantz

Some of our away fans are absolute cretins, and unfortunately it spreads.

Peter Walton as always backing the ref regardless of how shit a decision is, player safety be damned.

• Sad 1

Peter Walton shouldn't be allowed to speak on anything. 

It's hard I couldn't tell from where I was sat. I assumed it wouldn't be given but would have to look. 

Thing I would say though is Newcastle did frustrate at times and it was hard to try and break and then other times it just felt it took one ball and we were in behind. I don't know what the plan is for January but it's definetly something that needs addressing. There's no point being solid for a bit and then wide open 

I saw a lot of people saying the goal was the right decision because the one Newcastle defender clearly was play acting and didn't have a head injury (started to get up, saw Liverpool had the ball, then went back down) and/or it was teammates colliding. While both are true, especially the play acting, the other Newcastle defender did not appear to be play acting and could've easily had a head injury from the landing (since they didn't actually collide heads in the air).

Exactly, that's the point. Even Walton used the phrase "he might have a head injury", and that's the exact reason why you stop it and check. Any suspicion of concussion or unconsciousness should be stopped immediately, and rightly has been for the last several seasons. Schar being a knob changes nothing, and referees can't be second guessing motivation for a head injury.

• Like 2

I thought it was Schar who got up and looked like he'd taken a hit but Hayden was on the floor, looked up and then went back to holding his head? 

It's hard cause I do think it could have been stopped and I wouldn't have had any complaints. But on the other I do think sometimes defenders are using it to their advantage to disrupte set pieces if they jump into someone and there's a bit of contact to basically null and void the attack.

It's a tricky situation either way. You saw De Gea hold his head after his foot was stood on by Fred the other week against Arsenal. But there's a chance obvious head injuries could have been missed. 

I do think Howe can jog on because if he was that concerned they do have the concussion substitute rule now 

Nah, Schar was the cheat, Hayden got clattered. If referees are going to start guessing that a player is putting on a head injury, especially in a congested penalty area after a corner, then we're really going back over on player safety.

• Like 1

I feel like you can tell which clubs have had crap uptake based on the past two seasons with big covid outbreaks at the teams. 

I think Liverpool if I believe we are one of the few clubs who are double jabbed. I think Wolves may be one as well. 

I'd guess partly to do with their general age range (for example 59% of 25-29 year olds England are fully vaxxed as per the replies to the initial tweet) and there being no strong enforcement of vaccination across the board in with the clubs or the league? Are other leagues being more strict on whether players are vaccinated?

CB: Llorente, Koch, Struijk Cooper, Cresswell, Hjelde

LB: Firpo (suspended)

RB: Ayling

CM: Phillips, Forshaw, Shackleton

LW: James

ST: Bamford, Rodrigo

That's our unavailable list (a couple aren't confirmed and Koch might be able to play despite not having even played for the U23s after a 3 month absence). Only 3 down to Covid so despite having about 8 first team/fringe players we're going to be the only game going ahead today 😂

I genuinely don't know who's going to play in defence if the full list of injuries is correct, probably 2 under 18s, Drameh and either Harrison or Dallas at left back depending on whether he wants to go with Bate in midfield or he wants Dallas there.

I dread to think who's going to be on the bench, probably some under 12s.

Oh wait, I forgot our other U23 CB Hjelde is injured too. Literally 4 CBs injured, one with Covid, one yet to play after a long absence and the 2 makeshift CBs (Ayling and Phillips) are both out as well. You couldn't make it up.

Edited by Matt

How much of those injuries do you think are a result of how Bielsa has the squad train/play? I know their training sessions are supposed to be incredibly intense, so I can see how it leads to repeated injuries.

3 are Covid (although seemingly Ayling was incorrect) and I don't think you can attribute any of Koch, Cresswell, Struijk or Rodrigo to the style of play. Bamford was probably caused by being rushed back from his previous injury which was an impact injury. I've no idea what even happened to Shack or Hjelde. Cooper probably has the least physically demanding role in the team outside of Meslier so you can't really blame the intensity there. 

I guess that leaves Phillips, James and potentially the two that I don't know what they're out with.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1