Premier League 2021/22

Lineker

3 hours ago, Colly said:

Paul Ince's tactical analysis is making me realise why his managerial career didn't work out. "Wolves came with a game plan". Probably a good idea.

I sometimes wonder what those  late 90s Man Utd prematch team talks were actually like. Either Fergie just told them to go out and win and it worked or all of them just sat there mentally humming the theme tune to the Magic Roundabout while he talked, because fuck me, not an ounce of tactical awareness seeped into any of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gazz said:

I sometimes wonder what those  late 90s Man Utd prematch team talks were actually like. Either Fergie just told them to go out and win and it worked or all of them just sat there mentally humming the theme tune to the Magic Roundabout while he talked, because fuck me, not an ounce of tactical awareness seeped into any of them.

It probably would be harder to find a team that has produced so many managers that are so average to bad. Ole is legitimately the best manager to come out of that team and that says it all really.

I think the best manager of the Ferguson 90s Man Utd teams is easily Steve Bruce, so yeah.

Solskjaer, Neville brothers, Roy Keane, Scholes, Sheringham, Ince, Giggs all nothing to shout about as a manager. The likes of Beckham obviously have never tried. Nicky Butt is apparently a good coach?

I know he isn't a 90s Utd player but Carrick seemed to have something decent about him. I reckon he'll end up getting a job with a mid/low table Premier League side, perhaps even as low as the Championship, and do a better job than Lampard seemed to.

Now I'm trying to think who the best coach has been out of Chelsea players from the 90s (not counting the player-managers from the time).

Steve Clarke? Di Matteo?

I have a suspicion that the answer might secretly be Jody Morris.

I can't think of many off the top of my head for the 90s. 

Fowler's dipped his toe in several times, there's Nigel Clough, Ince, Barnes and Steve "I'm the gaffer" Staunton. I mean Gerrard technically debuted in the 90s and you've got players like Henchoz who joined in 99

22 hours ago, Baddar said:

A first Utd start for Phil Jones since about 2013.

I thought this was a joke and he'd not been around anywhere near that long, but check out this glorious OG from 2012. I am getting very old if this was a decade ago.

Spoiler

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Fowler's dipped his toe in several times, there's Nigel Clough, Ince, Barnes and Steve "I'm the gaffer" Staunton. I mean Gerrard technically debuted in the 90s and you've got players like Henchoz who joined in 99

How could you forget Sami Hyypia? I also remember Karl-Heinz Riedle having a strange player/co-manager role with Roy Evans at Fulham for a short while.

I think the best we've managed is Lee Clark even if just for that run at Huddersfield. Ketsbaia was highly touted for a bit but I think his whole career has been in Greece and Cyprus.

I'm probably forgetting someone obvious, though Iron Mike Thrilliamson is doing okay as Gateshead player/manager. Scott Parker is also too recent.

42 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

How could you forget Sami Hyypia? I also remember Karl-Heinz Riedle having a strange player/co-manager role with Roy Evans at Fulham for a short while.

Oh yeah forgot his time at Leverkusen and then randomly Brighton. 

42 minutes ago, Colly said:

I think the best we've managed is Lee Clark even if just for that run at Huddersfield. Ketsbaia was highly touted for a bit but I think his whole career has been in Greece and Cyprus.

I'm probably forgetting someone obvious, though Iron Mike Thrilliamson is doing okay as Gateshead player/manager. Scott Parker is also too recent.

If you go back a little bit further, you could have Michael O'Neill.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Lee Clark is a dreadful, dreadful manager as well. That unbeaten run at Huddersfield seemed to stick to him for far too long.

6 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Dean Saunders did a bit of management didnt he?

They're more associated with the 80s but Ian Rush and Ronnie Whelan did a bit of management.

Jan Molby had a good spell at Kidderminster.

David James did some player manager work in India? And maybe also Iceland?

Mark Wright managed somewhere  as well.

Dean Saunders is Ince levels of inept and clueless at football management. Actually, he's way worse than Ince.

When he managed Rovers, he once shouted at El-Hadji Diouf to "run up and down the wing". Diouf looked at him with derision and laughed.