NFL 2021

Lineker

• Admin

The NFL and Rams owner Stan Kroenke have reached a $790 million settlement with the city of St. Louis in a lawsuit over the team’s relocation to Los Angeles, according to a St. Louis Post-Dispatch report. An announcement is expected Wednesday.

According to the report, lawyers representing both sides met Tuesday in St. Louis to hammer out the deal. Negotiations and the informing of other owners went late into the night. This may have been the last chance for the sides to reach an agreement to avoid a public trial slated for January.

The Rams and other NFL owners have been embroiled in a four-year lawsuit filed by the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority, which argued that the league broke its own relocation guidelines, misled the public on its plans to leave the city and cost the city millions in revenue. The NFL has lost many of its motions and was denied a hearing in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Last week, Kroenke threatened to settle separately and leave the NFL on its own in a January trial, according to a report from the Sports Business Journal. In an email to league officials, other owners and their lawyers, Kroenke's representatives said they want to settle the case for between $500 million and $750 million, per the report.

Kroenke's reps also said in the email that they can't take the risk that the costs won't be shared. They also said they can't risk a trial that would lead to a mega-verdict against all teams and the league, which NFL lawyers argue would be indemnified by the Rams.

The case has included all 32 teams and cost millions in legal fees, which mostly have been covered by Kroenke.

As is the case when the Lions are terrible by late November (which is most years), people start asking if the NFL is going to ever step in and take their Thanksgiving game away.  And the answer is invariably no.  Although the league could take it away if they wanted to, the Lions and Cowboys organizations were effectively promised permanent hosting rights for the games as long as they wanted to keep hosting it, and there's no real value to the Lions ever surrendering it.

And that's the way it should be.  For as many years as the game is a terrible blowout, so many households have that game on as a tradition.  We always have that game on in the living room for the first half while we chat, and by the third quarter we're usually eating.

• Like 1

Every team had the same opportunity and the Cowboys and the Lions were the only ones who were smart enough to take it.

Now everyone else can fight over the Sunday night game.

• Like 2

My mom’s ex was from Michigan and rooted for all the Detroit teams.  The team was never good enough for him to justify buying a gameday package, so for a long time Thanksgiving was his one and only chance to watch his team here in Connecticut.

He’d happily be parked in front of the TV for it every year, didn’t matter if Peyton was throwing 6 TDs on them or Dan Orlovsky was running out of the end zone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

My mom’s ex was from Michigan and rooted for all the Detroit teams.  The team was never good enough for him to justify buying a gameday package, so for a long time Thanksgiving was his one and only chance to watch his team here in Connecticut.

He’d happily be parked in front of the TV for it every year, didn’t matter if Peyton was throwing 6 TDs on them or Dan Orlovsky was running out of the end zone.

Yep, and I mean I've been watching this with my dad and brother for years now.

I mean, they added a third game they rotate now which I think is a perfectly reasonable accommodation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Yep, and I mean I've been watching this with my dad and brother for years now.

I mean, they added a third game they rotate now which I think is a perfectly reasonable accommodation.

Agreed, I loved the edition of the rotating Thanksgiving night game, although it doesn't really feel like any different than any other week now thanks to season-long Thursday Night Football being a thing.

The Giants have never had a daytime Thanksgiving game in the whole time I've been a fan.  Don't really see that changing anytime soon.  The Lions generally get scheduled against the Packers or Bears when they aren't playing the AFC.  FOX always banks on Giants/Cowboys being a Sunday marquee game, so they'd probably never "waste" that game on a Thanksgiving audience that will watch whatever's on.

Probably better for my stress levels to not have them on during Thanksgiving Day anyway :lol:

• Like 1

Joe Buck just said “D’Andre Swift with his 54th catch of the year, for no gain”

And given how the Lions are playing, couldn’t help first thinking there was no comma in that statement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Joe Buck just said “D’Andre Swift with his 54th catch of the year, for no gain”

And given how the Lions are playing, couldn’t help first thinking there was no comma in that statement.

I also liked where he was trying to make a point about the Lions not beating themselves with penalties. Only for the Lions to rattle off a bunch of holding and false start penalties to kill the next two drives.