Formula One 2022

Lineker

Getting a little tired of this "It'S bEtTeR tHaN a FrEe PrAcTiCe SeSsIoN" narrative, I don't know about anyone else but my issues with sprint races is not due to entertainment, because of course it's more entertaining to have racing than a practice.

My problem is that it makes qualifying completely meaningless, firstly because it puts it on a Friday when nobody can watch it, but mainly because any crazy grids we get are immediately nullified by the better teams just overtake everyone else until we get the usual top 6, just like has happened today. It just gives the top teams an even bigger advantage when they already have the best cars.

Meanwhile, Max is seemingly fucked, which is entertaining. Of course because this isn't the actual race, they'll just replace the wing before the race tomorrow and everything will be fine.

• Like 2

I mean those cars will just slide past slower cars in a GP if the sprint race wasn’t there and have even more laps for those cars like Haas to slide further and further down the field. Haas have come away with a point and if he’d started on pole in the GP based on that pace he’d likely not have come out with any points.

I think this race is a massively positive advert for the sprint race.

• Like 1

Yeah, I enjoyed that. Russell earned the win and it sets up an interesting race. This track is perfect for the Sprint format, so long as they get the selections right perhaps it's not a terrible idea to have.

Magnussen would never have been on pole if qualifying was today either, remember.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris2K said:

I'll keep my mouth shut about Magnussen not being in the mid-field on the first lap if it hadn't been for the sprint race, and focus more on how Danny Ric's "I don't care" mentality since being dropped is getting a little dangerous.

My first thought was this would lend weight to your point from yesterday 🤣

• Haha 1

This is quickly turning into the kind of race that Magnussen could have won if he started on pole. Unfortunate.

Feel like Max was far enough alongside that Lewis should have given him more space.

Edited by Twist