Formula One 2022

Lineker

I didn't mind it too much, the always present danger of going into the wall was fun, watching Russell's gap to his nearest car rise by three seconds a lap, then all of a sudden plummet by 5 seconds a lap was entertaining, and it's always nice to see Checo win.

He did keep the win by the way, quite why it took two hours to decide the penalty is baffling.

Attempted to, and literally did. He got 2 penalty points on his licence for it.

It was a horrific scene, made worse by the majority of the Sky pundits saying it was Gasly's fault as well, and with all the time they needed to fill during the red flag those opinions got far too much airtime.

It's a 'two wrongs' situation, and both the Stewards were WAY in the wrong with putting out the recovery vehicle when there were still cars on track. That should never have happened and it's appalling that it did in Suzuka of all places, where this entire drive for safety got renewed after Bianchi's horror crash.

But I feel you can definitely criticize Gasly for going over 250kph on a rained out track whilst the race was neutralized. That was highly irresponsible for him for no reason other than to get to the pit lane quicker, even without the recovery on a live track that could've easily caused him to lose control and create an incident in which he could've gotten injured.

Like they're not equally bad, obviously, but it's not like Gasly should be absolved for his error in judgement either. Having said that, the semi-shitshow around the finish made a lot of people forget about what happened earlier and I wish people would bring it up more.

But now the news cycle has gotten to Red Bull's cap breach so everyone's quickly forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder who they'll have on retainer if Logan fails to achieve the required points for next season.

There's only 25 points between him in third place and Vips in 10th, two DNF's and a spread of good performances from the people below him and he can find himself tumbling down and losing precious license points.

All but Enzo Fittipaldi have gotten one or more race wins this season, and Sarges best performances are from before the summer break.