Formula One 2022

Lineker

22 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

The US start times aren't usually this late are they? 11pm for qualifying seems strange.

IIRC they pushed the times up to capture a larger US audience. 20:00GMT is at 12:00 on the US West Coast. In the past they had races basically in the morning and audience share suffered, now that F1 has gotten more appeal in the USA in the past few years they're trying to push the times up for that audience.

From an F1 perspective enough can't be said about him. His willingness to buy both Jaguar and Minardi in the space of three years stopped the F1 grid from falling apart in the 2000s, the amount of drivers that have been given opportunities because of the Red Bull drivers program is insane (and the way some were treated wasn't down to him) and he bought and re-developed an entire circuit.

All because he turned a Thai energy drink into a worldwide one by adding a ridonkulous amount of caffeine.

The bigger concern is whether whoever inherits the Red Bull empire will be willing to invest as much in the sport as he did, because a grid without Red Bull and Alpha Tauri is barely a grid. And I bet they still wouldn't let Andretti in.

• Like 4

It's so depressing that Max just takes away any potential feel-good moments by winning every, single, race. I was so hoping Lewis would be able to hang on, but it also always felt like an inevitability.

Speaking of inevitabilities, the inevitable "Stroll makes a sudden move on a straight" accident finally happened, Fernando was so close to hitting that gap in the barriers at 150mph.

• Like 2

Stroll has a 3 place grid penalty for causing the crash, which is not the race ban he deserves.

Fernando has been given a 30 second penalty after Haas complained that his car's mirror was unsafe after the crash, and the stewards agreed he should have been given a black and orange flag. That drops him from 7th to 15th. Hey Haas, fuck you.

I can understand their frustration at the different standards, but this wasn't a case of a race where they got a penalty and Alonso didn't, just them feeling aggrieved about previous decisions that had nothing to do with Alonso or this race.

I also don't think it's fair for a car to be punished for damage caused by another driver.

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

I can understand their frustration at the different standards, but this wasn't a case of a race where they got a penalty and Alonso didn't, just them feeling aggrieved about previous decisions that had nothing to do with Alonso or this race.

I also don't think it's fair for a car to be punished for damage caused by another driver.

I put this in the wrong thread before but it gave them two points, which is now their lead over Alpha Tauri in the constructors championship. So a savvy move on their part.

I hope they go with that livery, it looks great.

This now means that the Sauber entry will have competed as:

• - A Mercedes works team
  • - A Red Bull owned team
  • - A BMW works team
  • - A Ferrari B team
  • - An Alfa Romeo sponsored team
  • - An Audi works team
  • Like 1

How much of a difference is the 10% restriction on wind tunnel time likely to make? The Red Bull cars are already quite a way ahead of their rivals. It makes me wonder if the big teams will all overspend if the fine doesn't come out of the next year's spending limit.

Sentiment in the paddock seems to be that it’s a reasonable punishment. One or two dissenting voices, Seidel at McLaren for example, but by and large not too much frustration. Toto seemed okay with it and if he wasn’t, we’d soon know.

Horner’s press conference was shit though even if some of his points were valid. They’re always very hard done by at Red Bull (and most other teams to be fair).