X-BOX Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

22 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Has anyone ever done Ubisoft plus? Apparently the new Ass Creed is going to be on there day one. So I figured it would be worth subbing for a month to play it. Just making sure no one has any horror stories of it sucking or anything

hehe Ass Creed

• Haha 2

Decided to pop Cyberpunk in and give that a go after Starfield didn't quite scratch my itch. Going from one game to the other, the controls are throwing me. And more annoyingly is my Series X sounds like a gosh darn jet engine when playing a disk based game. No issues when using Gamepass. I'm hoping using compressed air to clean out some dust tomorrow helps. 

Forza is out and it looks lovely. Will comment more on the handling once I've raised in more than one car, haha. 

35 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I'm hoping Diablo 4 makes it to gamepass. 

I got it on PS5 and like it was fun I guess? I was so excited with the whole seasons thing I figured I would be playing it for years but I beat the campaign and I would honestly be ok never playing it again

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I got it on PS5 and like it was fun I guess? I was so excited with the whole seasons thing I figured I would be playing it for years but I beat the campaign and I would honestly be ok never playing it again

That's what I've heard and why I've held off on getting it. I could have picked it up for $40 on the weekend and figured I would hold off. 

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

This can't have been the first you've heard of it, surely. Today is the day that the deal has been confirmed and approved.

It is! Never realised Microsoft cared that much about their gaming division these days.

17 hours ago, FLiam said:

Tony Hawk’s please. 

I'd love them to build on that 1+2 re-release we got. That was so cool to have.

Unfortunately, they're seemingly focused on bringing back Guitar Hero. I love those games too, but Rock Band took it in the right direction, Guitar Hero Live fucking sucked, and the instruments are impossible to get for either game... so I don't really know if there's a market for that anymore.

Guitar Hero, as a straight up party game, going back away from the Live aspects and returning to the older style guitar setup would probably do okay if the guitars are both affordable and easy to acquire.

I think Rock Band is the better bet for success, as it understands the pick up and play style better and also caters to singers, drummers and bassists... but if they decide to put out a new Rock Band at any point, again, they need to make sure that instruments are affordable and easy to acquire.

Last time I looked for a guitar for Rock Band, I think the cheapest one I found was well over $100. Drum set? Same deal.

I remember getting the original game in a collection with two guitars, microphone, mic stand and drums for $250 total.

Fuck, that went off the deep end.

POINT OF POST: I also want Tony Hawk's, but it's more likely we get shit that won't work like Guitar Hero.

A remake of Tony Hawk 3 and 4 was being worked on until Activision decided to make Vicarious Visions put all their resources into Call of Duty and Diablo co-development. There's bound to be a studio Microsoft could get to finish the job if they want to.

34 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

A remake of Tony Hawk 3 and 4 was being worked on until Activision decided to make Vicarious Visions put all their resources into Call of Duty and Diablo co-development. There's bound to be a studio Microsoft could get to finish the job if they want to.

Work gameplay-wise was already mostly nailed with the 1+2 remake. Real fun would've came if they went on to both Undergrounds and American Wasteland because yikes some of the stuff in the story has not aged well at all.

They should just release "Tony Hawk Pro Skater" using 1+2 as the base, add some new courses and music, and I'll be thrilled. 1+2 was an absolute joy to play - I bought it on both my Xbox and Switch because I was playing it so much. 

I thought Harmonix went indie a few years back, so I got my hopes up that Microsoft could just tap them to take over Guitar Hero again, but apparently they're owned by Epic now? Either way, I'm all for another GH/RB revival, but it would be nice if you could actually find the fucking instruments anywhere!

• Thanks 1

I liked the general idea of Guitar Hero Live, even though I never played it. I know that Just Dance has an annual subscription option that gives you access to a big library of songs from previous games, and I think that would be a great option for games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band to have. Just make it one of those "live service" games and keep a big catalogue of songs instead of churning out sequels every year.

The big issue that I had with Guitar Hero Live is that it killed the idea of almost anyone being able to pick it up and play.

I remember being at a manager's conference for EB Games when they were hyping the release and them asking people to come up and play on the stage. Nobody was able to score well because of the changes to the guitar. Nobody said they had any fun with it. Nobody said they were going to buy it themselves.

Activision gave us all the game for free. None of us played it beyond 5 to 10 hours.

They had a Rock Band 4 booth at our conference ending party. There was a line to play that game. Everyone had fun, because it didn't try to change the formula. Played the game before? You're good. Never played before? At least it's not super frustrating to learn and get better.