X-BOX Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

Xbox is always the "next year is gonna be amazing, forget the last year" console so good to measure expectations, but holy fuck that was a good-ass presentation.

• Like 2

I tend to give Microsoft a bit more leeway because I've already stacked my Game Pass subscription for quite a while. Knowing I'm not going to have to pay any more money for the vast majority of the games shown tends to make me more interested.

• Like 1

I sure hope that collector’s edition is still in stock by Friday when I get paid. And as a digital console owner, the credit chip with an engraved download code is aces. I understand why that might make physical collectors mad, but it’s whatever for me.

I do still find it dumb to put steelbooks in editions where there isn’t a physical game, though.

I’m probably buying the controller and headset too. Having another controller isn’t a bad thing, and I need a headset for the Xbox anyway (and their headsets are always quality).

60fps would be great but if it’s a stable, locked 30fps then that’s not TERRIBLE. I’ve been playing FFX on my SteamDeck and if I didn’t have the FPS counter in the top left hand corner I would have never guessed it was 30 because it felt like 60 honestly.

But I have a Series S and expected it to be 30fps anyway. Kind of sucks for X owners, since it’s a way more powerful system. I bet they’ll do a patch for it one of these days, too many people want that option to just ignore them.

36 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I have to be honest I don't understand the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. Like what does it actually do?

It affects how smooth the on-screen movement is. On the new consoles, most games let you choose between performance and graphical quality, so you could change those settings to try out how different the two feel.

I'll always go for 60fps over sharper graphics, but it's not as if I'll steadfastly refuse to play a game at 30fps. It's a shame that some recent games (Gotham Knights, A Plague Tale: Requiem and Redfall) haven't offered the choice.

• Like 3

On the vague subject of Game Pass, are there any deals available? My stacked subscription from the 'convert to game pass for £1' finally but I think they stopped that promotion IIRC.

21 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

On the vague subject of Game Pass, are there any deals available? My stacked subscription from the 'convert to game pass for £1' finally but I think they stopped that promotion IIRC.

Not quite the same, but I was able to buy 2 years of Gold, and then got a month of gamepass to convert it all about 6 months ago? Should work out to be cheaper. 

Speaking of deals, Game Pass subscribers can get an upgrade to Starfield's Premium Edition for £16.93 on the Icelandic Xbox Store, with no need for a VPN. That gets you the Shattered Space expansion when it releases, plus access to the main game five days early. I don't know how worthwhile that is, but it's still half the price it is on the UK Microsoft Store.

6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I have to be honest I don't understand the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. Like what does it actually do?

It's widely, widely misunderstood for the most part - is the way that I see it.

I prefer 60 frames when given a choice, but that is with the conceit that when given a choice I am truly choosing between 30 frames and 60 frames, and specifically wanting that over higher visual fidelity. When a game is locked to 30 frames and there's a good reason for it, it's not really something you notice all that much. The gameplay that we've seen from this and more recently - my own time with Tears of the Kingdom make it clear to me - if something is locked solidly at 30 frames, it's still a great experience.

There are too many people who hear 'the game will not be 30 frames' and they'll instantly rule it out without even looking at footage or trying it themselves. It has mostly become a tagline... and it leads to bad experiences sometimes where a game will try to force 60 frames in to alleviate possible backlash, and you end up with a situation where the game can't REALLY hit 60 frames and it jumps between 30-60 in different degrees which causes a MUCH worse experience than just flat out locking it to 30 frames.

• Like 2