X-BOX Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

How do preorders work for digital stuff? Like I had a balance and I preordered something and I know I got it because it let me preinstall it but my balance is still the same. I didn't accidentally get it for free did I? Does it not take the money off until the game releases? I just don't want to spend the money that is supposed to pay for this game and then somehow not get it when it comes out

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

How do preorders work for digital stuff? Like I had a balance and I preordered something and I know I got it because it let me preinstall it but my balance is still the same. I didn't accidentally get it for free did I? Does it not take the money off until the game releases? I just don't want to spend the money that is supposed to pay for this game and then somehow not get it when it comes out

I'm quite sure they only take the money from your balance a week or so before the game releases.

• Thanks 1

The FTC's bid to block the Microsoft purchase of Activision has been denied, effectively leaving the acquisition free to go through everywhere except the UK. I can't see the UK risking having no Call of Duty, so you'd expect Microsoft's appeal to be successful there.

This whole ordeal has been a mess involving two big console manufacturers unconvincingly pretending they're acting in good faith. As usual, whoever wins, most of us lose.

Despite being a predominantly Xbox guy over the last few generations, I'm not a staunch defender of them and think both (heck, all if you wanna toss in Nintendo) are pretty anti consumer most of the time. But it's a bit hypocritical from Sony though all the times they've acted like exclusivity is a bad thing when they've been rampant at it over the past decade. Like, not Uncharted, Last of Us, Spiderman etc since they're in house or bankrolled by Sony. But when they've been doing exclusive content for stuff like Destiny, Avengers or even Call of Duty itself, the words pot, kettle and black spring to mind.

• Like 1

They both spent the trial acting as though their exclusivity practices were anything other than ways of removing content from other systems. Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Remake would be on Xbox consoles if Sony hadn't paid Square Enix not to do so, while Starfield might well have been a timed PS5 exclusive, just like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, if Microsoft hadn't bought Bethesda.

Internal emails at both Microsoft and Sony also revealed that they had plans at some point to put the other out of business, so the notion that either of them act out of anything other that self-interest is absurd.

That merger should be blocked, but the arguments put forward against it have been weak. But obviously Sony doesn't want to make the real arguments because that will hinder their ability to do something equally awful like buying EA or Square Enix. 

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Was there some kind of X-Box showcase thing today? Like I saw a time for it but I honestly have no idea what it was

It was an ID@Xbox show, which highlights smaller games. Here is a list of everything that was announced.

53 minutes ago, zero said:

That merger should be blocked, but the arguments put forward against it have been weak. But obviously Sony doesn't want to make the real arguments because that will hinder their ability to do something equally awful like buying EA or Square Enix. 

I agree with this. The FTC focused almost entirely on how the acquisition would negatively affect Sony, rather than the consumer. There was never any doubt that Sony would be just fine, but growing monopolies never benefit anyone other than the people at the very top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

It was an ID@Xbox show, which highlights smaller games. Here is a list of everything that was announced.

I agree with this. The FTC focused almost entirely on how the acquisition would negatively affect Sony, rather than the consumer. There was never any doubt that Sony would be just fine, but growing monopolies never benefit anyone other than the people at the very top.

Yeah I think the ruling from this is more likely to cause further monopolisation. Sony will want to counteract the Activision and Bethesda acquisitions so would not be shocked really if they just start going out for some of the bigger name studios/developers and Microsoft counteract, Sony counteract etc. 

It is just as you said the consumer is the ones who will be hurt the most. 

18 hours ago, zero said:

Hasn’t the Square Enix thing been sort of rumoured for ages too?

12 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Hasn’t the Square Enix thing been sort of rumoured for ages too?

There hasn't been any strong evidence that a takeover of Square Enix is forthcoming. The trial revealed that Microsoft had at least pondered buying almost every major publisher around before settling on Activision, but there were never any major moves towards Square.

Square sold off a few of its biggest western properties, including Tomb Raider and Thief, last year, so that it could make more investments in the blockchain racket. If that works out badly, there's always a chance that it could be open to offers. Whether that would be a console manufacturer or someone else would remain to be seen.

6 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

There hasn't been any strong evidence that a takeover of Square Enix is forthcoming. The trial revealed that Microsoft had at least pondered buying almost every major publisher around before settling on Activision, but there were never any major moves towards Square.

Square sold off a few of its biggest western properties, including Tomb Raider and Thief, last year, so that it could make more investments in the blockchain racket. If that works out badly, there's always a chance that it could be open to offers. Whether that would be a console manufacturer or someone else would remain to be seen.

Well if we know anything about Square and risky investments they’ll be owned by Sony or Microsoft by 2024. 🤣

After 21 years, Xbox Live is being replaced with GamePass Core.

Xbox Live Gold is becoming Xbox Game Pass Core starting September 14.

New select collection of games with Xbox Game Pass Core.

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give players more choice and value by introducing Xbox Game Pass Core, launching on September 14. Game Pass Core is the evolution of Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass Core will give players access to our advanced multiplayer network, a select collection of over 25 games to play with friends around the world, and exclusive member deals, all for $9.99 USD per month or $59.99 USD per year.

For over twenty years, Xbox players have been connecting via Xbox Live to compete, cooperate, and experience the world’s biggest online multiplayer games. In 2017, we introduced Xbox Game Pass which provided a curated library of games. Game Pass Core brings online play together with Game Pass in a new offering for gamers around the world.

With this evolution, we’re saying farewell to Games with Gold. We wanted to use this opportunity to re-imagine how to include content with this subscription. We found that the answer to the most compelling catalog was to leverage select titles from our Xbox Game Pass catalog.

Our launch collection of more than 25 titles from Xbox Game Studios, Bethesda, and our content partners will offer something for everyone to play on their Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles. Today we’re confirming the following titles for launch*, with more to be announced in advance of September 14. New titles will be added 2-3 times a year.

For current Xbox Live Gold members:

• On September 14, Xbox Live Gold members will automatically become Game Pass Core members, with no change in pricing, and have immediate access to a new library of over 25 high-quality games.
  • Member deals & discounts will also be part of Xbox Game Pass Core.
  • Games with Gold will come to an end on September 1.
  • Players can continue to access any Xbox One games they previously redeemed through Games with Gold if they remain a Game Pass Core or Game Pass Ultimate member.
  • Regardless of subscription status, any Xbox 360 titles redeemed via Games with Gold in the past will be kept in a player’s library.

Thank you to everyone who has been with us since the early days, joined along the way with friends, and now with us in Xbox Game Pass. I’m proud and humbled by the stories we hear about online teammates becoming real-life friends after years playing, or even marriages whose initial spark was ignited in a pre-match lobby. We can’t wait to hear more from the community when it launches on September 14, and we’ll see you online!

List of included US games:

Spoiler
  • Among Us
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • Doom Eternal
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Grounded
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Inside
  • Ori & The Will of the Wisps
  • Psychonauts 2
  • State of Decay 2
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

I'm pretty excited for it. I let my GamePass lapse this year and aside from being constantly annoyed to sign back up for Xbox Live, I haven't really missed it. But I am tempted to try out the Stadium Stampede stuff on Fight Forever. With that in mind, this feels like the best middleground for me. 

Now I just gotta find a cheap XBL Gold gift card before the switch. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

So what happened to the Xbox guide? I used to be able to scroll down and get Gamepass and the Store and all that but now they are gone and when I tried to add them back it said my page was full? My page is absolutely empty now!

https://gamerant.com/xbox-dashboard-feature-most-played-games-tab-users-unhappy/

• Thanks 1