X-BOX Megathread 2023

Bobfoc

On 13/04/2023 at 00:36, Bobfoc said:

Technically, Xbox doesn't really have proper exclusive now because Microsoft's first-party games come out on PC as well. If you're looking at games that aren't on Playstation and Nintendo systems, I'd recommend:

Rare Replay (collection of 30 historic Rare games - there's bound to be something you like in there)

Gears Tactics (basically XCOM in the Gears of War universe)

Microsoft Flight Simulator (self-explanatory)

Pentiment (stylish adventure game set in 16th century Germany)

Forza Horizon series (open world racing)

As Dusk Falls (choose-your-own-adventure)

Grounded (twee survival action)

All first-party games come to Game Pass on day one, and pretty much all Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One exclusives are on there too.

This is great! Thank you!

Where is @King Ellisto finally sway me?

I tried that Atomic Heart game finally. Well I say I tried it but I didn't even make it to the combat portion of the game. The voice actor for the main character was fucking horrible! I couldn't deal with his stilted voice and lame quips for however long the game would take. Instantly deleted it

• Like 1

Really enjoying Ghostwire Tokyo. There's a really, proper personality to that game that Tango Gameworks is really good at working into things. And the attention to detail on the city and the setting and the little things is right up there with what the Yakuza devs do.

On 14/04/2023 at 16:04, LL! said:

This is great! Thank you!

Where is @King Ellisto finally sway me?

Hello.

I'm sure we can figure something out between us all and the different time zones involved.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that it was the issue of cloud gaming that was the stumbling block. It seems that there are no concerns about the impact on the console market, presumably because the PS5 is outselling the Xbox consoles by quite a margin.

Early indications suggest that Redfall isn't going to review well. I was worried that the game would lack solid focus, and it looks as though that has ended up being the case. More worryingly, people are saying that the AI is poor and the game just doesn't seem finished, which would seem to be supported by the fact that it's only offering 30fps at launch on console.

It hasn't been a good couple of weeks for Xbox. I hope Starfield manages to be decent because 2023 will be a damp squib for Microsoft in terms of the big-budget releases. Mind you, it's been a long time since any so-called "AAA" (horrible term) game on any system has excited me much.

9 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Early indications suggest that Redfall isn't going to review well. I was worried that the game would lack solid focus, and it looks as though that has ended up being the case. More worryingly, people are saying that the AI is poor and the game just doesn't seem finished, which would seem to be supported by the fact that it's only offering 30fps at launch on console.

It hasn't been a good couple of weeks for Xbox. I hope Starfield manages to be decent because 2023 will be a damp squib for Microsoft in terms of the big-budget releases. Mind you, it's been a long time since any so-called "AAA" (horrible term) game on any system has excited me much.

Disappointing. I usually love Arkane games. I hardly use my Series X at all...

22 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Having watched videos, I cannot fathom how a game can released this bad. 

I wonder if Microsoft was getting anxious to put a big game out after all the delays its games have been having. I think the last really big Microsoft-published blockbuster was Halo Infinite, which was nearly a year-and-a-half ago. Giving it the green light in this state wasn't the best idea, though.

Judging from what I've heard, Redfall was originally going to be essentially Left 4 Dead with vampires. Then, midway through development, Arkane decided to expand its scope and make it an open world game. It seems that the result is something that does neither thing especially well, even setting aside the bugs that could eventually be sorted out.

It’s not a finished game, at all.  They had no business releasing it in this state.  I played for an hour, I found 1 vampire.  In every area there’s like 30 explosive barrels/gas cans for every one enemy.

The world is totally empty and the few enemies you do encounter are complete idiots who can’t even hit you.

This is an embarrassingly bad.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...