FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

3 minutes ago, damhausen said:

As it stands Morocco are the only side who were truly the better one in their QFs. Take from that what you will.

Idk, Argentina were definitely better than Netherlands, both in normal time and extra time. Netherlands got incredibly lucky to survive to penalty kicks during that extra time onslaught.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Adam said:

Absolutely gutting. I don't feel like England could have done any more in general play. Mbappe was neutralised, it was just two good goals from France. You can't legislate for the penalty miss.

Gutted.

It's a shattering loss. One of England's best performances under Southgate as well.

I've said for ages that this World Cup felt like a natural stopping off point for Southgate but nah. Not like that. Keep him for the Euros.

• Like 1

Without Southgate I don't think the last few years would have been as good as they have been to England. To make it to a semi final in 2018 and a final a year ago. It's a lot of improvements on previous England team's.

He's made that team a hungry one that actually play well together. The young set up and other talent coming up can only be a good thing going forward for them. Yes we have had losses. But in a way I think a lot of it will be what drive the team on and learn from it. 

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Imagine what the last few years might have been like if Sam Allardyce didn't get caught.

You still may have ended up with Southgate honestly. Feel like Sam would've gotten sacked in 2018 after a terrible World Cup performance. He was never fit for the job.

FjY0jZoXwAIvoHM?format=png&name=small

Refs still at the World Cup. Think it's unlikely any of the French or Argentines get another game, unless it's Frappart for the 3rd place playoff to give FIFA some good press. Think she's probably 50/50 for that game with Al-Jassim.

Elfath was born in Morocco, so I'd be surprised if they got another game. Lahoz should not get another game, Sampaio I think is out too. Oliver and Valenzeula for the semis and Makkelie for the final is what's being rumoured, but I don't think anything will have been decided yet.

I echo the sentiments many have shared about Southgate. He's the man for the job as long as he wants it really. England are playing at an extremely high level and with the continued growth of academies at English clubs will likely have a regular influx of young players over the next few years. He's got the national team playing a style and with organization that they can win any tournament.

• Like 2

Some wonderful low-level xenophobia from the Canadian press (but mostly Quebecois press) pondering if Canadians of Moroccan origin would be celebrating this vociferously at Canada’s successes. I don’t recall this type of punditry whenever Italy wins anything and our major cities turn into gridlocks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

Some wonderful low-level xenophobia from the Canadian press (but mostly Quebecois press) pondering if Canadians of Moroccan origin would be celebrating this vociferously at Canada’s successes. I don’t recall this type of punditry whenever Italy wins anything and our major cities turn into gridlocks.

Doesn't Canada also have a fairly decent Croatian, English, Serbian, Polish, etc diaspora? Sounds like some writer is telling on themselves.

It's also an irrelevant question as Canada didn't have any successes, and were never going to. They ended up with the 2nd worst performance in the entire tournament and the only worse team (Qatar) were given/paid for their spot automatically.

16 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I wonder if Ally McCoist has been added to the Matterface/Dixon commentary team on the basis of knowing he's the guy their viewers want.

I feel like it has to be. It's like Dixon is contracted to cover the semi final and final, but the contract doesn't say how many people he commentates with. 

It also allows us to directly compare them, and unsurprisingly it's like comparing a gold bar with a turd.