FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

I'd like Messi to win a World Cup. I've been a fan of his for years, just such a brilliant player to watch. No trophy is bigger or more elusive and I'd love for him to lift it. And while I don't think team accomplishments are the end-all-be-all for individual greatness, this trophy and his performance during this World Cup adds to/cement/etc whatever legacy talk you want to have. Argentina aren't always the easiest to root for though.

I do have a soft spot for France. They're generally entertaining to watch. Couldn't argue with this French generation being the one to finally repeat as World Cup winners after a 60 year drought. But it'd leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth happening at the expense of Messi.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, entiel said:

Second world cup in a row where we get a group stage rematch in the game for 3rd place.

And what a classic the first meeting was!

Hope Morocco can snatch 3rd but I won't be watching that one. Looking forward to the final though.

2 hours ago, Baddar said:

There are reports that Benzema could be fit to play some part in the final. Deschamps didn't completely rule it out during a post match interview last night either.

This just feels like misdirection by Deschamps and to try and distract Argentina. I know he's Karim Benzema, but throwing in a player with zero real match fitness into a World Cup Final, even as a sub, is a gamble not worth ever trying.

Even if he's completely fit Griezmann's having an outstanding World Cup playing behind, and Giroud and Mbappe have 9 goals between them. I'm sure on paper at the start of the tournament you'd have Benzema over Giroud, but it'd be a big move to make just for the final.

At best, I see him sitting on the bench and making a cameo in injury time if it's already clear either team are going to win. Is he much of a penalty taker? Could always get brought on in the 119th minute if it goes that far.

Infantino has given a press conference saying this is "the best World Cup ever" (lol, no), that the group stage format of the 2026 World Cup will be "reconsidered" (good) and that he wants friendly tournaments between different confederation teams every March (yay, more unnecessary travel).

24 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Infantino has given a press conference saying this is "the best World Cup ever" (lol, no), that the group stage format of the 2026 World Cup will be "reconsidered" (good) and that he wants friendly tournaments between different confederation teams every March (yay, more unnecessary travel).

If that last point is confederation ‘super teams’ in a 6 team tournament then sign me up. But maybe not every year or at that time of year though.