FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

Iran exposed the defence and it cost England twice. I'm glad it has shown in this match again. So that Southgate might be able to figure out the mistakes before we progress to stronger teams who will not miss. USA have played really well and exploited those weaknesses and it's only down to bad luck they aren't a goal or so up. 

Although I expect an England win once USA run out of steam. 

Just now, METALMAN said:

Is this the best USA team of my lifetime? I mean previous US teams were built around fairly agricultural cloggers like Donovan, McBride etc but some of these players can actually play.

Talent at the US has never been higher. Multiple players not just in top leagues but featuring at clubs in top leagues.

However, as you've probably seen a ton in this thread, there are some serious questions about our manager's decision making and tactics.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Is this the best USA team of my lifetime? I mean previous US teams were built around fairly agricultural cloggers like Donovan, McBride etc but some of these players can actually play.

It's not. This USA team has potential to be it, but right now it's mainly a bunch of younger guys yet to enter their prime, and yet to really achieve anything.

Christian Pulisic is the best American attacker, but he's not been anywhere near as good as Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey when putting the national team jersey on. The same can be said about any of our strikers and Jozy Altidore and Brian McBride. 

We also don't have any CBs even close to the CBs from previous eras, and the same is true with our GKs.

The only real difference now is American players actually get credible chances in Europe. The reality though, is almost all of our "major European club players" are all, at best, squad player level for those clubs. But a lot of people see where they play at, and think it means they're great now.

• Like 2