FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

Tata has clearly set up Mexico to defend deep and in numbers, maybe hit a counter, and draw any foul imaginable to kill time. It's been incredibly effective, and makes sense for Mexico to try and get a draw. But fuck me this match has been awful.

3 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Tata has clearly set up Mexico to defend deep and in numbers, maybe hit a counter, and draw any foul imaginable to kill time. It's been incredibly effective, and makes sense for Mexico to try and get a draw. But fuck me this match has been awful.

The 2026 World Cup format is going to reward this kind of play even more in the group stages since 2 points would be enough to advance in, I think, every scenario. Not to mention the risk of collusion.

35 minutes ago, damhausen said:

The 2026 World Cup format is going to reward this kind of play even more in the group stages since 2 points would be enough to advance in, I think, every scenario. Not to mention the risk of collusion.

I didn't realise they were going 16x3, I assumed it would be 12x4 with the usual 3rd place nonsense for the necessary qualifiers.

3 team groups are going to be horrific. And I say that as someone who is currently doing a diary that involves 3 team groups, which are a nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I didn't realise they were going 16x3, I assumed it would be 12x4 with the usual 3rd place nonsense for the necessary qualifiers.

3 team groups are going to be horrific.

FIFA has said they may change the 3 team groups, and if they do have them I suspect it'll be something they scrap by 2030. The 3 team group format means there are no additional matches any team will play when compared to the current format. But 12x4 would add on an additional match for the eventual semifinalists.