FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

1 minute ago, stokeriño said:

I feel like England will amble through to the next round and then, whomever they end up playing, being faced by any team with even the vaguest concept of flair will absolutely floor them.

It's looking like Ecuador or Senegal based on the result of their game, unless Qatar provide an upset against the Netherlands or Iran and Wales both win the final Group B games.

I know I've been talking about the commentary an awful lot in this thread, so let me get on to what matters.

I've now heard "Hollywood Nights" by Bob Seger and "Eminence Front" by The Who on the World Cup coverage this week. Throw in the numerous Sam Fender backing tracks being used and I have to say, the music is moving in the right direction on TV football matches.

1 minute ago, MadJack said:

USA are a legitimately good nation now, they don't get to win draws any more.

Leave that for small nations like Luxembourg, Suriname and Scotland.

We're really not though. We're all hype because we have a lot of good youth prospects for once. This is still a team that could only win one time on the road in 7 WCQ matches, lost to Panama, and barely finished 3rd in WCQ.

I'm back with some more commentary watch, as Andros Townsend has already, inside 7 minutes of Poland v Saudi Arabia kicking off, insulted Poland by saying right back Matty Cash is "unlucky not to be an England international" even though he is, you know, starting for Poland in the bloody World Cup.

He has also said he didn't know he had played against Lewandowski until he was told the other day, as he "played against him in 2014, before he was who he is now". That would be 2014, when Lewandowski signed for Bayern having already been Bundesliga top scorer and played in a Champions League Final for Dortmund.

Where do they honestly find these idiots to do commentary.

• Like 6

Not a lot of commentary is more annoying than hand-wringing over the country these players represent. They mentioned this on the US broadcast but the previous head of the Polish FA wanted nothing to do with Cash since he only wanted players born in Poland to represent Poland, which is so reductive in my opinion. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Adam said:

I'm back with some more commentary watch, as Andros Townsend has already, inside 7 minutes of Poland v Saudi Arabia kicking off, insulted Poland by saying right back Matty Cash is "unlucky not to be an England international" even though he is, you know, starting for Poland in the bloody World Cup.

He has also said he didn't know he had played against Lewandowski until he was told the other day, as he "played against him in 2014, before he was who he is now". That would be 2014, when Lewandowski signed for Bayern having already been Bundesliga top scorer and played in a Champions League Final for Dortmund.

Where do they honestly find these idiots to do commentary.

He seems like a nice enough bloke but hasn't learned how to be professional whilst doing the job.

5mins ago he was talking about not being focused on playing the game last season until he'd asked Ronaldo for his shirt. Not exactly what you want to hear from an active player.

And then he mentioned thinking he'd drawn the short straw by being given this game to cover...

1-0 Poland. Saudi Arabia have to come from behind again.

• Like 1