Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

38 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

A lot of families are split red/blue. I think a lot of rivalry is more to do with the chance to wind the other one up. 

Is their much of a geographical split between Liverpool and Everton? I saw an interesting map recently that showed how Manchester is roughly split east Man City and west Man Utd, with a few more pockets of blue on the outskirts (and the bulk of Utd's fans down south :shifty:).

It's kind of hard to gauge how location affects club support when there's only one major club within an hours drive in any direction. There are some interesting Norwich/Ipswich splits in towns along the Norfolk-Suffolk border though!

Edited by Naitch

1 minute ago, Naitch said:

Is their much of a geographical split between Liverpool and Everton? I saw an interesting map recently that showed how Manchester is roughly split east Man City and west Man Utd, with a few more pockets of blue on the outskirts (and the bulk of Utd's fans down south :shifty:).

I don't think that's really true is it, always felt like most of Greater Manchester was Man Utd to the detriment of various clubs around (including City)? What's the source for the map?

I've joked in the EFL thread about not wanting Sunderland up which isn't really the case (though I'd prefer them not to have the joy of back to back promotions) as the derby is always a good fixture to have. I'm a little out of area, but the small distance between the clubs has always meant there's crossover in some of the towns between the Tyne and Wear (Jarrow, Hebburn etc), and I've always had good chats with workmates etc. The derby itself is unnecessarily horrible though, prompted entirely by the type of people who wouldn't even leave their own town unless there's a football game on. Sad.

Just on a slightly related note, I unusually got the train up on Sunday and had a few drinks pre match. We were in one of the beer gardens on the main paths up to the ground from the station, and the lighthearted back and forths between home and away fans was lovely to see. There aren't really "away pubs" in Newcastle (other than the one opposite the station is always rammed as it's opposite the station...) as it's so well furnished by pubs, so it always seems to have a nice atmosphere at least away from the ground itself. Been a long time since I've sat near the away end so no idea what it's like at that point.

41 minutes ago, Colly said:

What's the source for the map?

This was the specific one I saw, from Manchester Evening News: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-derby-map-men-survey-687267

Looks like that one's over a decade old but they did a more recent one in 2018: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/derby-day-map-shows-parts-15407574

59 minutes ago, Naitch said:

It's kind of hard to gauge how location affects club support when there's only one major club within an hours drive in any direction. There are some interesting Norwich/Ipswich splits in towns along the Norfolk-Suffolk border though!

Both grounds are only a mile apart so you can't really say like the north of the city support one team and the south the other unlike other clubs where you'd have like if you're in North London you're gonna support the likes of Arsenal etc. 

Its pretty much family and friends I'd say that influences it. I've never really gone to an area and it's pretty much all Everton fans or vice versa. You get your Everton and Liverpool pubs but that's based on how close they are the ground or who owns the pub but it's not a no go zone for fans of the other team. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Naitch said:

This was the specific one I saw, from Manchester Evening News: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-derby-map-men-survey-687267

Looks like that one's over a decade old but they did a more recent one in 2018: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/derby-day-map-shows-parts-15407574

Bah, self selecting poll. Goal of the month is more reliable...

Today marks 30 years for me as a Newcastle fan. I'd take another 7-1 win against Leicester in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

One of my earliest clear memories of football. Far more than the multiple games I went to where we failed to score every time, I think my first live goal was in about 1994...

I like that there was a child standing next to Terry McDermott for some reason

Our sheets used to be five star boutique hotel clean, now they're teenage boy's bedroom clean.

We all knew Leeds would capitulate in some way this second half. It's Leeds, after all!

Seriously, worst thing Leeds did this year was sack Jesse Marsch. Gracia was a downgrade, and Big Sam ain't saving them

I forgot they had that spell as low as League One, they kinda feel like one of those teams that's been around the top flight forever. I didn't think they'd be in trouble like this as for the past few years everyone has tipped them for relegation but they always end up pretty comfortable. Guess it caught up with them in the end.

• Like 1