Formula One 2023

Lineker

• Admin

Formula 1 President and CEO Stefano Domenicali has joined in paying tribute to Bob Fernley, the former Deputy Team Principal of Force India, who has passed away at the age of 70.

Fernley worked for decades in both Formula 1 and IndyCar and Can-Am, as well as holding the role of Chairman of the FIA Single-Seater Commission from 2020 to 2022.

Commenting on Fernley’s passing, Domenicali said: “I am saddened to hear the news that Bob Fernley has passed away. He was such an important part of Formula 1 and his love and passion for the sport will live forever. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this very sad time.”

Former Force India driver and current Alpine racer Esteban Ocon added his own words of condolence on social media, writing: “Sad to hear about the passing of Bob Fernley today.

"He was a great person and leader, and I was lucky enough to work and learn from him during my days at Force India. Sending my thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.”

Meanwhile, former F1 racer turned pundit Karun Chandhok also paid tribute to Fernley, writing on Twitter: “Very sad news about Bob’s passing. Been a tough battle for him for the past few months but he fought it with typical pragmatism and strength. Our deepest condolences to his wife Audrey and their family.”

Very sad to hear about van 't Hoff's death, but to defend Spa, the accident took place on the Kemmel straight in conditions that there was absolutely no reason to be racing in, let alone a one lap shoot-out with all the cars bunched together. People can blame Spa if they want, but this could have happened at any track if decisions like that get made.

Sorry to change the subject so swiftly, but the sprint yesterday was very entertaining. The decision to make it a separate entity from the race has made everyone more interested in racing and has made the concept far more worthwhile.

The track limit penalties are insane. It's such a short lap that a driver could do the 3 track limit errors on the same corner to get a penalty before the system has even acknowledged the first one. If it's not an instant decision then the punishment has to be reduced.

• Like 1

As much as I love it, it seems an odd decision given the lengths all the cars are going to with not painting carbon fibre to save weight/improve airflow, surely chrome is going to be at odds with that?

• Like 1

There is not a chance I remember that those races are on a Saturday.

I appreciate their efforts to group races together geographically to try and cut down on travel, even if it means moving Suzuka away from its traditional spot, but that Miami->Imola->Monaco->Montreal->Barcelona grouping remains bizarre. At least Baku isn't in the middle of it any more.

Ted Kravitz suggested on his most recent notebook that Saudi Arabia wants to hold three races every season, one each in their three biggest cities, so that's something to look forward to for the "27 races in 2027" calendar. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, METALMAN said:

But is there a reason for holding these Bahrain and Saudi Arabia races on a Saturday?

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Sunday is a workday in the Middle East - the weekend is considered to be Friday/Saturday.

image.png

• Thanks 1

Honestly, Checo has been so poor recently and the people at the top of Red Bull seem like such horrible shits at time, I'd absolutely accept that they've somehow nerfed his car.

• Like 1

I think they're favouring Max significantly (and not just when Checo has been his teammate), but I think there's too much money involved for them to actively sabotage their own car.

I feel so sorry for Williams, they have been awesome in practice but the second it rains all of their extra speed has just vanished.

... OK, maybe they have sabotaged his car.

15 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I think they're favouring Max significantly (and not just when Checo has been his teammate), but I think there's too much money involved for them to actively sabotage their own car.

I feel so sorry for Williams, they have been awesome in practice but the second it rains all of their extra speed has just vanished.

Yeah, and I can't imagine Checo's engineers reacting kindly to the idea either but fuck me he's been so poor and he's not this bad a driver.

Becoming a real risk they dump him mid season at this rate.